Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

command batch file help

15 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Why switch when you can have both. And that's not Linux with a little wine.😉

Sure enough. Must admit, I keep wine within reach, in order to run DSS and Sequator. Just as a referance, Siril is my main stacker. Nothing else, and I mean NOTHING. I've sipped from the beer marked FREEDOM, and I've never looked back.

Edited by Rallemikken

7 hours ago, scotty38 said:

@tomato I saw you asked the dos question on discord too. I didn't really get much of an answer so will be interesting to see what you get.

Yes, thanks for putting the query on there, I posted a question on a separate issue, and got a reply from the man himself, unfortunately to just confirm that what I was trying to do in NINA is not currently possible. No replies on the text display issue so far, but I’ll post any responses on here.

1 minute ago, tomato said:

Yes, thanks for putting the query on there, I posted a question on a separate issue, and got a reply from the man himself, unfortunately to just confirm that what I was trying to do in NINA is not currently possible. No replies on the text display issue so far, but I’ll post any responses on here.

Yep, he replied to the query about the command processor too but said he didn't really use the feature so wasn't sure. I did ask if he'd coded it to be "silent" but no further replies on the subject although things do get lost in all the traffic so I had to ping him directly but don't like to do it too often.

Yes, it is crowded forum, sometimes it’s hard to see the wood for the trees. The Astrobiscuit Discord forum is quite similar, is it Discord or the nature of the subject matter I wonder?

Sharpcaps sequencer treats the batch file as I would expect in that there is no difference between it being called or run direct

I wonder if a clue lies in the first line of Sharpcaps call

SC_Batch_file.PNG

Edited by Tomatobro
info added
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

Sharpcaps sequencer treats the batch file as I would expect in that there is no difference between it being called or run direct

I wonder if a clue lies in the first line of Sharpcaps call

Which bit, the echo?

When NINA calls the batch file you get a plain CMD terminal with no other text. In SharpCap you get the c:\ Program Files (x86) SharpCap 4.0 as a first line.

So my thoughts were that SharpCap is invoking the batch file in a different way to NINA. I don't have the "Program files" bit as part of my batch file so it must be being generated by SharpCap.

Ok that's just the current working directory and if the output was being sent to the screen "normally" you'd see it, just like you are in Sharpcap. I thought you meant that the actual commands were being echoed to the screen but of course I turned echo on when I tried it but yep that made no difference anyway.

My hunch is that NINA is using Powershell to call the batch file and allowing it to run in the background while just displaying the CMD screen. There is also something going on where if the USB to serial module is not connected then calling the batch file direct it runs but reports that the call to the none available serial com port is not available but completes the batch file instructions. NINA looks to be running a check first and reports that the batch file cannot be run with the designated com port  missing.

Not really sure on either of those but my hunch would be that NINA is using something other than powershell as its programming language to be honest and your serial port thing I suspect that's just the command processor reporting back and nothing to do with NINA at all.

As has been mentioned earlier by @vlaiv and @wulfrun NINA is using C# code to run the command file and redirects the standard output & error messages.  I tried a snippet in Visual Studio and changing the redirect command option to false does show the command file output.

It would not be that difficult to add a checkbox to the NINA settings, where this command is entered, that could toggle the redirect off/on - but that would be up to the NINA coding team. In my test code I added an option to write the output to file, which works with the redirect set to true or false. But again to get this needs a code change.

As far as I can tell you cannot override the settings in NINA without them making a change in the code.

Steve

• Thanks 2