SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please help before my brain explodes!!! Has anyone used this product? Is it any good? JMI Event Horizon Robotic Telescope Focuser - EVR - ASCOM- Cassegrain Adaption for ZWO EAF

I really need your help folks!!! 

This feels like a prayer :) 

I am trying to solve an ongoing brain teaser that is actually starting to drive me nuts.  I want to get an ASCOM compatible (preferably ZWO EFA) Auto focus onto a Meade LX10.

Yes, I know it's an older scope, but the optics are good (scopes never really been used before I got it) and I am about to de-fork it and invest in, and whack it on an EQ6 PRO Mount to future proof my astronomy for the medium term. 

I am going round in circles and I feel like a dog chasing it's tail.

Question 1 - Can I get the original focus knob of off the scope? If so how? And after the two visible allen grub screws are removed does it screw off? Once off what size is the spindle.

Question 2 -  Once the knobs off, will the ZWO kit for use with Celestron 9.25 (with the flexible adaptor) fit straight on? 

Question  3 - If not is there a belt drive system that will work? If so, any idea what components are needed?

Question 4 - If questions 1 - 3 are unanswerable or simply don't work, I could stick a Crayford style draw tube on.  Right? - This leads to Q5 onwards????

Question 5 - Dual speed Crayford, without spending a small fortune on an old scope. Which one will take the EAF?

Question 6 - I've looked  TS optics 2 inch SCT dual speed - Link Below. In conjunction with the Wega 3D printed bracket. But don't know if the two are compatible???

https://www.astroshop.eu/focusers/ts-optics-focuser-crayford-2-/p,11264#tab_bar_0_select

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ts-focusers/wega-attachment-kit-for-zwo-eaf-motor-focus-on-tsfocn2-and-tsfocn2m-crayford-focusers.html

Apparently they are from the description but it's not exactly clear from the description - Your'll see what I mean.

Question 7 - Will the Skywatcher (or equivalent) Dual speed Focuser work with the ZWO EAF if so How to I attach it ?

Question 8 - If all else fails - has anyone seen or used this product? See below link - If so is it any good?

https://www.365astronomy.com/jmi-event-horizon-robotic-telescope-focuser-evr-ascom-cassegrain-adaption-for-zwo-eaf.

Looks like a perfect solution and exactly what I am trying to achieve but I don't want to Shell out on something that turns up having been made by someone in their garage and wish I'd have answers Q1 through 7 and got a better result.

If you are able to help before my head implodes I would be eternally grateful.

Amen!

CR

1st question should be do you know what you're letting yourself into regarding a large ish SCT and imaging.. not as straightforward as using a widefied frac.. lots of things to consider before jumping in..not impossible , and very rewarding but nothing like a widefied frac in term of use... What autofocuser to chose should be way down on the list

Ok, I think I can help out a little bit at least.

I don’t know if the focussing mechanism is the same as my LX200 but this YouTube vid should give you an idea of how to disassemble. https://youtu.be/qECRqoUlG4o

I can’t be certain on the Celestron Bracket for yours but I can say it didn’t work for my LX200.  There is a US manufacturer that produces 3D printed brackets https://buckeyestargazer.net/Store/ZWOEAF.php.  It doesn’t list the LX10 but the owner is pretty responsive and has offered to make me a bespoke part in the past.

So I also bought the Skywatcher Dual Speed focusser and eventually got it working but only after Flo kindly sourced an ‘old’ flexible adapter.  Apparently ZWO changed the flexible adapters and the new version that I initially received didn’t fit. That worked ok but the focusser is a heavy bit of kit and adds quite some length to the optical path which subsequently increased the F ratio so ultimately I sold it on.

I eventually landed with the JMI focusser and I’m very happy with it.  Lighter and shorter than the Skywatcher and just as well made.  Only caveat is that the ZWO bracket didn’t fit perfectly and I had to add a couple of washers but after that I am well pleased with it, if a little lighter in the wallet!

Hope some of the above helps.  Sometimes best to try on CloudyNights forum as there are more Meade owners in the US than the UK and they have there own Meade section.

Cheers

Andrew

4 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

not as straightforward as using a widefied frac.

I like my 8” LX200 for imaging but I also have a WO GT 81 for when I want to actually enjoy the process 😂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Priesters said:

Ok, I think I can help out a little bit at least.

I don’t know if the focussing mechanism is the same as my LX200 but this YouTube vid should give you an idea of how to disassemble. https://youtu.be/qECRqoUlG4o

I can’t be certain on the Celestron Bracket for yours but I can say it didn’t work for my LX200.  There is a US manufacturer that produces 3D printed brackets https://buckeyestargazer.net/Store/ZWOEAF.php.  It doesn’t list the LX10 but the owner is pretty responsive and has offered to make me a bespoke part in the past.

So I also bought the Skywatcher Dual Speed focusser and eventually got it working but only after Flo kindly sourced an ‘old’ flexible adapter.  Apparently ZWO changed the flexible adapters and the new version that I initially received didn’t fit. That worked ok but the focusser is a heavy bit of kit and adds quite some length to the optical path which subsequently increased the F ratio so ultimately I sold it on.

I eventually landed with the JMI focusser and I’m very happy with it.  Lighter and shorter than the Skywatcher and just as well made.  Only caveat is that the ZWO bracket didn’t fit perfectly and I had to add a couple of washers but after that I am well pleased with it, if a little lighter in the wallet!

Hope some of the above helps.  Sometimes best to try on CloudyNights forum as there are more Meade owners in the US than the UK and they have there own Meade section.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks that’s super useful. 

Really appreciate the time put in to your response.

I will check out the links. If I can get straight on to the existing focus mech that would be nice. However, understand the back focuser will help with any mirror flop, which although I have noticed, doesn’t seem too bad on scope.

Is imaging with SCT really that painful? I’m was only really going to use it for close up Lunar and planetary work.

Thanks again.

If it's only for lunar and planetary work why do you need an auto focuser? My advice would be to use a Bahtinov mask to focus on a star and a flip mirror to aid location and positioning. It seems to me like you are making a lot of work for yourself. All my planetary imaging was done with a C9.25 without any autofocuser.

5 hours ago, Moonwrecker said:

Is imaging with SCT really that painful? I’m was only really going to use it for close up Lunar and planetary work.

In that case I think it will be a very good scope.  

In terms of the focusser I don’t think you’ll actually need an auto focuser like the EAF although it is handy to be able to focus from the laptop, in my experience anyway.  If you don’t get an auto focuser then I’d suggest some sort of upgrade to the stock focusser.  Damian Peach (top planetary imager) recommends an upgrade and I personally went for putting a Crayford on the back which, as you mention, helps reduce mirror flop too.

Edited by Priesters
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, newbie alert said:

1st question should be do you know what you're letting yourself into regarding a large ish SCT and imaging.. not as straightforward as using a widefied frac.. lots of things to consider before jumping in..not impossible , and very rewarding but nothing like a widefied frac in term of use... What autofocuser to chose should be way down on the list

Hello,

If I’m honest, probably not when I bought the scope, although it wasn’t my first and it won’t be the only one I purchase. Once I has satisfied myself that I’m getting the best from the optics I have and achieve best results I can on lunar and planetary, I’ll probably move on to DS with refractor. 

Would happily receive any advise.

CR

14 hours ago, Priesters said:

I like my 8” LX200 for imaging but I also have a WO GT 81 for when I want to actually enjoy the process 😂

So at least you know the process , it is enjoyable using a SCT for deepsky, mine hasn't come off the mount for over a year now..the esprit is wondering what it's done wrong🤔 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Moonwrecker said:

Hello,

If I’m honest, probably not when I bought the scope, although it wasn’t my first and it won’t be the only one I purchase. Once I has satisfied myself that I’m getting the best from the optics I have and achieve best results I can on lunar and planetary, I’ll probably move on to DS with refractor. 

Would happily receive any advise.

CR

For lunar and planetary a SCT is great, for deepsky a SCT is great also but it has a few niggles that need to be addresed... It's not the same as a frac in terms of use

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

If it's only for lunar and planetary work why do you need an auto focuser? My advice would be to use a Bahtinov mask to focus on a star and a flip mirror to aid location and positioning. It seems to me like you are making a lot of work for yourself. All my planetary imaging was done with a C9.25 without any autofocuser.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I think you may well be right there. I have a habit of making life rather more difficult for myself than is perhaps necessary. My logic behind it was this; I wanted a way to reduce the shake on the scope whilst achieving best focus through the camera. So, I thought hands-free focusing is the way forward. Unable to find something simple that would clip, screw or bolt on for the Meade, I started digging. 

It wasn't so much the "Auto" side of the ZWO that draw me to it, more the fact that it could be operated either with hand controller or via the laptop. 

Also, I have the disease of "more" and a rather nasty affliction of being drawn to rather expensive hobbies. In order to limit my long term expenditure, I figured I would do my best to futureproof my purchases. I know that once I achieve perfect focus, I will end up wanting auto guidance, better camera, ASI, APO bla bla and so on a so forth. Therefore, I thought, I'll try and buy it once and hopefully (wishful thinking I guess), that will be me done for a while :). Rather than treat this as, I just want perfect focus, by perhaps purchasing an expensive feather touch micro focuser or just a Crayford, I would aim to build a system around the current optics and then upgrade them once they become the weakest link.

I figured, get the focusing sorted, ensure I am getting the most out of the optics and the camera, sort the tracking, stick with Lunar and planetary, then move on to DSO? 

I made a Bahtinov Mask, using a really handy tool from the internet. First out of paper and then transferred onto black plastic. It works a treat when used with an eyepiece, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to test it out with the camera (which I'm also trying to get my head around, and that's another story :) ).

Happy to receive your input and thoughts.

Best Regards

Chris

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 23:52, Moonwrecker said:

I really need your help folks!!! 

This feels like a prayer :) 

I am trying to solve an ongoing brain teaser that is actually starting to drive me nuts.  I want to get an ASCOM compatible (preferably ZWO EFA) Auto focus onto a Meade LX10.

Yes, I know it's an older scope, but the optics are good (scopes never really been used before I got it) and I am about to de-fork it and invest in, and whack it on an EQ6 PRO Mount to future proof my astronomy for the medium term. 

I am going round in circles and I feel like a dog chasing it's tail.

Question 1 - Can I get the original focus knob of off the scope? If so how? And after the two visible allen grub screws are removed does it screw off? Once off what size is the spindle.

Question 2 -  Once the knobs off, will the ZWO kit for use with Celestron 9.25 (with the flexible adaptor) fit straight on? 

Question  3 - If not is there a belt drive system that will work? If so, any idea what components are needed?

Question 4 - If questions 1 - 3 are unanswerable or simply don't work, I could stick a Crayford style draw tube on.  Right? - This leads to Q5 onwards????

Question 5 - Dual speed Crayford, without spending a small fortune on an old scope. Which one will take the EAF?

Question 6 - I've looked  TS optics 2 inch SCT dual speed - Link Below. In conjunction with the Wega 3D printed bracket. But don't know if the two are compatible???

https://www.astroshop.eu/focusers/ts-optics-focuser-crayford-2-/p,11264#tab_bar_0_select

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ts-focusers/wega-attachment-kit-for-zwo-eaf-motor-focus-on-tsfocn2-and-tsfocn2m-crayford-focusers.html

Apparently they are from the description but it's not exactly clear from the description - Your'll see what I mean.

Question 7 - Will the Skywatcher (or equivalent) Dual speed Focuser work with the ZWO EAF if so How to I attach it ?

Question 8 - If all else fails - has anyone seen or used this product? See below link - If so is it any good?

https://www.365astronomy.com/jmi-event-horizon-robotic-telescope-focuser-evr-ascom-cassegrain-adaption-for-zwo-eaf.

Looks like a perfect solution and exactly what I am trying to achieve but I don't want to Shell out on something that turns up having been made by someone in their garage and wish I'd have answers Q1 through 7 and got a better result.

If you are able to help before my head implodes I would be eternally grateful.

Amen!

CR

For an SCT you could use the Optec Leo low profile focuser. Very good focuser

• Thanks 1

On 20/05/2022 at 08:37, Priesters said:

In that case I think it will be a very good scope.  

In terms of the focusser I don’t think you’ll actually need an auto focuser like the EAF although it is handy to be able to focus from the laptop, in my experience anyway.  If you don’t get an auto focuser then I’d suggest some sort of upgrade to the stock focusser.  Damian Peach (top planetary imager) recommends an upgrade and I personally went for putting a Crayford on the back which, as you mention, helps reduce mirror flop too.

Cheers Dan,

I’ll have a look. 👍

5 minutes ago, Moonwrecker said:

Cheers Dan,

I’ll have a look. 👍

I've been using it for 4 years with no problems, now I use it on my refractor. I find it better than the stock FeatherTouch, at least for astrophotography... For visual the FT is ok.

It has 80 nanometers per step, doesn't get more precise than this. Also for the SCT I recommend using it's temperature compensation routine if you image.

Clear skies!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 24/05/2022 at 00:58, dan_adi said:

For an SCT you could use the Optec Leo low profile focuser. Very good focuser

True, Optec stuff is top shelf in my book.   Caveat: I think this focuser only fits a 9.25 and up?  I don't think it fits an 8".

On 27/11/2022 at 05:47, rmaddy said:

True, Optec stuff is top shelf in my book.   Caveat: I think this focuser only fits a 9.25 and up?  I don't think it fits an 8".

With appropriate adaptors it can fit any telescope. I use an Optec Leo on a 8 inch refractor. Stable, precise, reliable focuser.