Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Learning about space

Hi I met a guy last week on holiday and he studying prosthetics at university.  I was talking to him and he's been interested in space since he was small, he's 34 now.  I asked him what interests you most about space? He replied Black holes, the fact that we don't know much about them.

Anyway it got me thinking that I want to learn more about space so I found a book by Patrick Moore called Astronomy a complete introduction.  What I like about this book is at the end of each chapter there's a list of things to remember.   I never know what chapter to start reading from, chapter one is an introduction and explains briefly about the Solar system which I find too simple and I know that stuff.   Should I carry on with this book to learn or shall I just read sky at night magazine?

W

• Like 1

As long as you remember this about space:

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

If I'm reading for fun, I just read. But if I'm reading to learn things I make notes as I go along and then later review them. Otherwise after a short while I'll forget the vast majority of what I've read. My notes tend to stay in the books.

26 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

My advice, read everything you can that interests you. Also watch as many documentaries you can as well.

Plus, like I have, learn from the incredible minds on this forum. 

(Mine not included)😁

This really sums it up, space and astronomy have many, many different paths you can take so focus on what interests you.

There's a wealth of information just on this forum, from basics about equipment to as far as you want to dig.

Sky at Night Magazine is great too, it's the only interesting thing I get through the post 😂 There's a broad range in there from basics to the latest scientific discoveries, and the same goes for the TV Show.

Also, youtube is really great, included some links below for the ones I like, some of the guys are around on the forum too

https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroLaVista

https://www.youtube.com/c/Astrobiscuit

https://www.youtube.com/c/AstroBackyard

https://www.youtube.com/user/edting

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies.  Let me tell you a little about myself,  my name is Ash, im 44 and live in the united kingdom.   I'm disabled and use a wheelchair.   I like astronomy as i used to go out with a friend at night to look at the stars but that was 20 years ago.   Since then i have watched astronomy documentaries on youtube but in recent years i've not been able to go outside at night to stargaze because the cold weather gets to me and makes my disability worse.    I looked at online telescopes but the prices are stupid.  I looked at slooh.com and that site just confused me, now their prices have gone up since last year so i havent rejoined.   How else can i look at the night sky live online?    I have stellarium but that isn't live.

19 minutes ago, alecras2345 said:

Thanks for your replies.  Let me tell you a little about myself,  my name is Ash, im 44 and live in the united kingdom.   I'm disabled and use a wheelchair.   I like astronomy as i used to go out with a friend at night to look at the stars but that was 20 years ago.   Since then i have watched astronomy documentaries on youtube but in recent years i've not been able to go outside at night to stargaze because the cold weather gets to me and makes my disability worse.    I looked at online telescopes but the prices are stupid.  I looked at slooh.com and that site just confused me, now their prices have gone up since last year so i havent rejoined.   How else can i look at the night sky live online?    I have stellarium but that isn't live.

Hi Ash, sorry to hear about the cold weather issue, that certainly complicates it a little.

There are occasionally live streams on youtube which could be worth a look so maybe start here - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=astronomy+live+stream+&sp=CAISBBABQAE%3D

The only other thing I can think of is one of the new breed of automated scopes but they aren't cheap either https://vaonis.com/vespera However no mass of cables or complicated setup which may make it possible with your mobility issues and you can observe "live" on your phone etc whilst somewhere warmer

I would also suggest getting in touch with organisations such as the Royal Astronomical Society https://ras.ac.uk/about-the-ras/contacts as they may be aware of outreach programs for astronomers with mobility issues, it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask as I'm sure they'd have contacts in the right places 👍

I think there will be better people in the forum to recommend for astronomy.

My personal favorite for general space info is Wikipedia.  Just start with something you think is interesting and then keep clicking on links of things you think is interesting.  You can skip the bits that are boring.  A great way to spend an evening.

In terms of youtube: 

https://www.youtube.com/c/pbsspacetime  PBS Space time:  Your brain will get melted by the math, but honestly you don't need the math to enjoy this.  Covers quantum mechanics and cosmology.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HistoryoftheUniverse History of the Universe:  Quite good, but a bit long format and soothing for me, very 'space is beautiful vibe'.  Slowly working it's way through the history of the universe, from big bang to... well, we'll see when we get there.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Awesomeastronomy Awesome Astronomy:  Everyone's favourite podcast about astronomy.  I think there is  dust embargo as Jenny 'Dr Dust' doesn't harp on about it much.  Really good if you can stand the drama.  Lots of the talks are in tents you see (terrible pun) Don't recommend watching at double speed as the Welsh accent at that velocity is practically weaponised.  Also a podcast which is really good and updates twice a month.

https://www.youtube.com/c/inanutshell Kurgesagt:  Unpronounceable but REALLY good.  Short animations explaining a range of topics, from astronomy to philosophy.

If you want a Podcast about astronomy (like looking at the stars) there is the Actual Astronomy Podcast.  Its bloody marvelous.  It's 'just' two Canadians talking about what they saw and what they've been doing and explaining bits and pieces of astronomy.  That said it's absolutely engaging and I listen to it constantly.

Edited by Ratlet
Forgot the intense tents pun
  • Like 4

What can i do to enjoy astronomy?  I can't go outside stargazing and it's more often than not cloudy at night,  so it seems i can only enjoy astronomy online somehow.    What can i do to enjoy this hobby, what websites can i go on aswel as to learn about astronomy?   I thought maybe if i fancy stargazing one evening, opening stellarium and learning names of stars and learning what galaxy is in what constellation .   I don't know that was a thought, but using stellarium isn't live.   As regards to online telescopes  i dont want to pay 50 pounds.    What other sites could i use please not just for online telescopes?   Is using online telescopes a must? I feel i can't do astronomy unless its via the internet.

Ash

2 hours ago, alecras2345 said:

What can i do to enjoy astronomy?  I can't go outside stargazing and it's more often than not cloudy at night,  so it seems i can only enjoy astronomy online somehow.    What can i do to enjoy this hobby, what websites can i go on aswel as to learn about astronomy?   I thought maybe if i fancy stargazing one evening, opening stellarium and learning names of stars and learning what galaxy is in what constellation .   I don't know that was a thought, but using stellarium isn't live.   As regards to online telescopes  i dont want to pay 50 pounds.    What other sites could i use please not just for online telescopes?   Is using online telescopes a must? I feel i can't do astronomy unless its via the internet.

Ash

I don't use any myself but I know there are some who have discord servers with people who live stream from their own telescopes.  Obviously as I don't use them I can't comment on how good these places are (or how open they may be) but it might give you something to look into or give you ideas to investigate something similar further.  This is an example of one (astrobiscuit).

The only other option I can think of is both budget and ability related.  I appreciate you say you can't go outside to stargaze but are you able to set up your own scope now and again which you could then connect to remotely indoors via a pc/laptop/tablet/mobile?  Or perhaps leave outside but well covered and protected from the elements?  There is of course a cost associated to that - @doublevodka mentioned one option above, another (cheaper) option might be setting up your own imaging gear.  Further down this forum there are channels for EEVA (Electronically Enhanced Visual Astronomy) here and here.  The people in there may be able to help further if this is something you might like to get involved with.

Alternatively there is astrophotography.  Not necessarily viewing things "live" but it is taking pictures of the night sky yourself.  Again, gear can be set up outside and you then withdraw somewhere nice and warm (exactly what I do).  But there is still a cost involved so without knowing about your budget it's difficult to advise.  Then again you could start by simply pointing your mobile or camera at the night sky and taking some pictures.  That may still give you some nice views of constellations, the Moon and perhaps even star trails.  There are plenty of youtube videos about that.

On 19/05/2022 at 14:48, alecras2345 said:

Ash

Are you able to use binoculars through a window? I appreciate this may give you a limited field of view,, but if you turn the lights out in the house you could explore the nightsky that way. I will sometimes do this if I happen to notice the sky is clear on the way to bed. A small telescope on a tripod used in the same manner may also be a possiblity - there have been a couple of threads on here from people who observe through a window from a flat (and I think one person used a velux window in an attic roof.

Clouds are the bane of astronomy in the UK and sometimes patience is required - that's why binoculars are handy - no set up time required!

It's important to note that the kind of astrophotos posted on the deep sky section...

545152452_M31Outerextensions..thumb.jpg.6b214b46280c852e717c42b4c5f8d244.jpg

... are not captured in real time but over many hours, around 30 in this case. After that the data captured go through many hours of processing.

However, there's an observing system called Electronically Assisted Visual Astronomy in which almost real-time images are presented on a screen. What you see is more like what you see at the eyepiece but in some cases I think you see considerably more. I've no experience of this process but it has its own section on here: https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/286-eeva-discussion/

In principle I imagine that, using Anydesk or Teamviewer, you might be able to share in someone else's EEVA views in real time. I'll pop a post into that section to ask the experts how and if it might work.

Olly

• Like 2

Atik, a company that make dedicated Astrophotography cameras, have hosted live imaging sessions in the past on YouTube. If you Google Atik cameras videos there are a few archive broadcasts available to view or maybe email them to see if and when they are planning any new sessions.

On 18/05/2022 at 15:24, alecras2345 said:

Hi Ash,

My advice would be to join your local astro group. That will certainly help you understand the art of the possible and you might be able to borrow books, make friends with someone who could let you remotely view through their scope from within the comfort of the home. The opportunities are endless! Good luck!

Read this as well 🙂 https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/5-live-streams-help-you-explore-world-home

Edited by AstroMuni

On 25/05/2022 at 17:15, AstroMuni said:

remotely view through their scope from within the comfort of the home.

That's an interesting idea, can that be carried over zoom for example?

3 minutes ago, M40 said:

That's an interesting idea, can that be carried over zoom for example?

Ofcourse! In my local society we have zoom sessions where we share screens both to view what others are imaging and to help resolve issues being faced by them.

Edited by AstroMuni

So for arguments sake, if I was setting up and then started carrying out an eea session, I could share my screen with another person and they would see the picture unfold at the same time as me?

3 minutes ago, M40 said:

So for arguments sake, if I was setting up and then started carrying out an eea session, I could share my screen with another person and they would see the picture unfold at the same time as me?

Yes.

There’s some live astronomy related webcams 

https://www.virtualtelescope.eu/webtv/ (Watch out for the clickable ads)

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/astronomy.html

Theres an Open University course

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/astronomy/astronomy-online-telescope/content-section-overview?active-tab=description-tab

(looks quite easy going) that gives you free access to image at 

https://www.telescope.org/

This site also has a great image gallery

👍🏻

• Thanks 1

If that's the sort of thing you had in mind Ash, we can give it a try. I had a quick look on zoom and it may be too expensive but I am sure we can sort something using whatsup and a video call. Don't expect to learn anything though, you probably know more about the sky than me as I tend to be very much poke and hope 😜

• 5 months later...

Ash,, have a look out for,, night skies network,, ran by Joe sardinia,, it's a group of astronomers from around  the world  who broadcast what they see from there telescope,, most are USA based,, so it's funny o'clock times for some broadcasts