SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can anyone here have a go with this image in PI. I stacked 3 hours on The Elephants Trunk from last night and this is all I could get out of it. I looked at EZ Denoise but couldnt work it out, I'll need to watch a few youtube videos i think. 

Anyway, here's the Stacked image and the shoddy processed one., links under the jpg.  

401791238_PITry.thumb.jpg.4dcc21f8b2a526fb17fc5e6b96c2d118.jpg

DSS Stack.tif

PI Try.tif

2 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I am not guru but will take a look, is it possible to let me have the raw files, or are they too many ?

Steve

I'll try and stick them in a google drive. Its just lights, darks and flats. need to do some new dark flats. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1399RtI3v8J7NCLMctKO8dDcaTCr1f2jp?usp=sharing

All files uploaded 

Edited by Anthonyexmouth

My processing workflow amounts to trying stuff and seeing if I like it 🙂 This is my take:

Dynamic Crop
EZ Soft Stretch
Histogram transform (Rough colour balance)
Curves (Colour balance)
DarkStructureEnhance script twice. One at .40 and then one at .20
NoiseXterminator (just a light touch)
SCNR to settle some remaining green
ArcsinhStretch a tiny amount (1.4, I think )

2114394501_DSSStack.thumb.png.b8395f715d464691939083c7f8729747.png

Thank you for the data! 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

from last night and this is all I could get out of it

What do you think is missing or not coming out so well?  It looks like OSC data.  Was the moon up at the time of shooting?

I've quickly put it through PI - just adding back a reduced stretch of the stars helped reveal the nebulosity a little more.

Background prep, MLT NR, remove stars, stretch, more NR, Curves, little sharpening, stretch stars separately + add stars.  Lots of masks used along the way.

I've been liberal in how much red I've left/put in :) I've left it at full size too so you can compare.

81770857_DSSStack-PI1.thumb.png.4c52a72de633ab97df28bd6a27bbb34a.png

EDIT: Grammar.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, geeklee said:

What do you think is missing or not coming out so well?  It looks like OSC data.  Was the moon up at the time of shooting?

I've quickly put it through PI - just adding back a reduced stretch of the stars helped reveal the nebulosity a little more.

Background prep, MLT NR, stretch, remove stars, more NR, Curves, little sharpening, stretch stars separately + add stars.  Lots of masks used along the way.

I'll been liberal in how much red I've left/put in :) 

Not sure really, wasn't sure what to expect out of it, only a few hours of data and first time with PI, i've had a few trial goes over the years but this time Iv'e actually paid for it so hopefully i'll make an effort to learn it. Just got the trial of noiseXterminator so i'll try that tonight. Just want to try and get a basic little routine worked out and build from there. I'd like to try WBPP once i've worked though a few tutorials. 

• Like 1

PI can handle darks of different exposures and scale them, I still take dark flats when I can but it is possible to get by without.
From my first look I think the data looks really good and doesn't need much in the way of noise reduction.
I think it could do with some colour calibration , not sure if you did that but PhotometricColorCalibration in PI works wonders.
Also added a little Luminance, again not sure if you did this or not.
So not spent too much time on it due to other things unfortunately I had to do today but here is my quick rendition using PI.
It is a bit different but not necessarily any better, yours is really a good image to start with 🙂 

RGB_clone.thumb.jpg.645327c6def7b5708e554d9318e2d8bf.jpg

Mine along side yours, I think the same detail just different and that's how it will always be because of the way we all perceive the image.
RGB_clone.thumb.jpg.645327c6def7b5708e554d9318e2d8bf.jpg1456368399_PITry.thumb.jpg.56d4dc20bbc137d40861901f5143e73f.jpg

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

Regarding workflow in PI I think THIS WEBSITE is a good free one for getting to grips with what to do when.
In my opinion though there are a lot of steps if you do everything and I am not sure good data requires all these steps, certainly I would not do that many, but it will give you an idea of the workflow.

Steve

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

PI can handle darks of different exposures and scale them, I still take dark flats when I can but it is possible to get by without.
From my first look I think the data looks really good and doesn't need much in the way of noise reduction.
I think it could do with some colour calibration , not sure if you did that but PhotometricColorCalibration in PI works wonders.
Also added a little Luminance, again not sure if you did this or not.
So not spent too much time on it due to other things unfortunately I had to do today but here is my quick rendition using PI.
It is a bit different but not necessarily any better, yours is really a good image to start with 🙂 

RGB_clone.thumb.jpg.645327c6def7b5708e554d9318e2d8bf.jpg

Mine along side yours, I think the same detail just different and that's how it will always be because of the way we all perceive the image.

Steve

I did use photometric calibration. Down side was stacking in DSS didn't bring any position data over in the header, I seem to remember the last time I tried a year ago I might have stacked in pi and it auto filled the position data. 

As for luminance it's just 3 hours with a skytech l pro max filter. How did you add luminance? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I did use photometric calibration. Down side was stacking in DSS didn't bring any position data over in the header, I seem to remember the last time I tried a year ago I might have stacked in pi and it auto filled the position data. 

As for luminance it's just 3 hours with a skytech l pro max filter. How did you add luminance? 

For PCC I had to use search coordinates and put in IC1396 and then manually work out the focal length with the reducer.
To be honest it did something but not loads which is understandable if you had already done so.
image.png.e627343612e4c3829df245dfd7fb0583.png

For Luminance I extracted the Luminance from the RGB image, then removed the stars.
It tells you how to do it in that website, This Part
You basically apply this to your RGB image
image.png.95986e9eaf7def135bbccb3d8aa3ebf8.png

to extract Luminance, then I remove stars using Starnet2 and do a bit of brightening up and sharpening, but nowhere near like all the stuff that website suggests.

Steve

Oh by the way my rendition as just from your stacked Tiff, I have only just seen you added the path to your data.
I will have a better go with it hopefully tonight when I have done all my list of things the wife left me to do 🙂 , although probably will not be any different, I will see.

Steve

• Like 1

Morning! I had another bash at your data, this time stacking it from the raw data (PixInsight Weighted Batch Preprocessing, Maximum preset)

Once stacked, I did a background extraction, stretch then Starnet2 to preserve the colour

Beyond that it was mostly curves works and a rotation (sorry!)

Trunk2.thumb.jpg.749756c388752d79d3719e0266ed035d.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yawning Angel said:

Morning! I had another bash at your data, this time stacking it from the raw data (PixInsight Weighted Batch Preprocessing, Maximum preset)

Once stacked, I did a background extraction, stretch then Starnet2 to preserve the colour

Beyond that it was mostly curves works and a rotation (sorry!)

Trunk2.thumb.jpg.749756c388752d79d3719e0266ed035d.jpg

Thanks, looks like the darker regions are better defined and better colour variation. Just been watching Adam blocks wbpp tutorial. I'll give that a go when I get a moment. And downloaded a trial of noisextermintor, that looks pretty good. 

• Like 1