Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GEM28 Noise from mount when stationary

Hello all,

I've been doing some fiddling with my recently acquired Ioptron GEM28.  All in all I'm very happy.  I have it doing flips and twists and it moves very smoothly, both with nothing loaded and with my 127 Mak on board. 

The only issue is that once I issue a move command to the mount and it stops moving it makes a weird noise.  It happens on both RA and DEC and only after I've told it to move.  When powered on it doesn't make a peep.  When slewing it sounds very quite and the motors sound like motors, although if I slew at a slow speed (1x, 2x, etc) you can hear high pitched pulses coming from the mount as it moves, but they don't sound mechanical, more electrical if that makes sense.

It sounds almost like electrical interference, like the whine from a cheap DC converter.  Is this normal?  The unit didn't come with a power supply so I picked up an amazon special (12V 5A center positive, as per the manual).  Could it just be a garbage power supply?

Any tips gratefully received 

2 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Hello all,

I've been doing some fiddling with my recently acquired Ioptron GEM28.  All in all I'm very happy.  I have it doing flips and twists and it moves very smoothly, both with nothing loaded and with my 127 Mak on board. 

The only issue is that once I issue a move command to the mount and it stops moving it makes a weird noise.  It happens on both RA and DEC and only after I've told it to move.  When powered on it doesn't make a peep.  When slewing it sounds very quite and the motors sound like motors, although if I slew at a slow speed (1x, 2x, etc) you can hear high pitched pulses coming from the mount as it moves, but they don't sound mechanical, more electrical if that makes sense.

It sounds almost like electrical interference, like the whine from a cheap DC converter.  Is this normal?  The unit didn't come with a power supply so I picked up an amazon special (12V 5A center positive, as per the manual).  Could it just be a garbage power supply?

Any tips gratefully received 

Its nothing to worry about thats normal stepper motor noise.

• Thanks 1