Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this a fault on my camera

I bought a used ZWO ASI2600MC-Pro camera yesterday, it arrived today and on checking the sensor I saw the following and wonder if this is an issue.  If you look on the photo, the left-hand side has what appears to be an area that is separating.  What is separating from what I don't know but it looks disconcerting to my untrained eye.

What do you think - is this faulty?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

image.png.be9d029c2ea84a1e4aad043ab95e6bf1.png

31 minutes ago, Steve Paterson said:

I bought a used ZWO ASI2600MC-Pro camera yesterday, it arrived today and on checking the sensor I saw the following and wonder if this is an issue.  If you look on the photo, the left-hand side has what appears to be an area that is separating.  What is separating from what I don't know but it looks disconcerting to my untrained eye.

What do you think - is this faulty?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

image.png.be9d029c2ea84a1e4aad043ab95e6bf1.png

Contact them and send it back for refund they need to sort this out before selling it on. Its oil from the thermal pad that has leaked onto the sensor. It will keep spreading until its over the sensor and then cause lots of pain. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

21 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Who is the seller, and what guarantees are offered ???  if it was FLO, I would be amazed that you received it, in that state !! 

Used.....

Edit Not likely to be FLO is my point.

Edited by scotty38

19 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Who is the seller, and what guarantees are offered ???  if it was FLO, I would be amazed that you received it, in that state !! 

Hi, I bought it from a private seller so I'm going to try to get it returned to him.

5 minutes ago, Steve Paterson said:

Hi, I bought it from a private seller so I'm going to try to get it returned to him.

Point out to him that this is a known fault that ZWO will sort out for him but that it has to be him that sorts it as they will not deal with a second hand user. 

Just now, Adam J said:

Point out to him that this is a known fault that ZWO will sort out for him but that it has to be him that sorts it as they will not deal with a second hand user. 

Thank you.  I've contacted the seller and informed him of the problem. 

The seller has just got back to me and has washed his hands of it saying that it can be easily fixed online and won't provide a refund.  That's not the way I respond when I sell something and a shame there are people out there like that.  So I'm now left with faulty camera.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Paterson said:

The seller has just got back to me and has washed his hands of it saying that it can be easily fixed online and won't provide a refund.  That's not the way I respond when I sell something and a shame there are people out there like that.  So I'm now left with faulty camera.

Out of interest was this astrobuysell you got the camera from? Did you pay via paypal?

If paypal and not friends and family then you can contact paypal. 

Adam 

• Like 1

If you paid via Bank transfer you may be able to contact your Bank to see if they can do something, possibly even via their Fraud department - you’ve been sold faulty goods which was not made clear in the advert.

18 minutes ago, herne said:

If you paid via Bank transfer you may be able to contact your Bank to see if they can do something, possibly even via their Fraud department - you’ve been sold faulty goods which was not made clear in the advert.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have a leg to stand on here because I paid by Bank Transfer and my bank (Santander) take you through a series of questions before making the payment e.g. have you seen the product, are you collecting it etc.
I'd like to name the seller here but GDPR could probably bite me and it wouldn't serve any purpose.  I don't know if it's possible to do a member search in this group in case he has an account - will check.  

22 minutes ago, Steve Paterson said:

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have a leg to stand on here because I paid by Bank Transfer and my bank (Santander) take you through a series of questions before making the payment e.g. have you seen the product, are you collecting it etc.

If all else fails you could still try.  Banks call this type of transaction "Customer Not Present" ("CNP") such as mail order, online purchases etc.  By their very nature they are a higher fraud risk and Banks take action accordingly by enhancing their authorisation process in order to cover themselves from loss.  Even if you told them during the bank transfer you'd seen the item you could still say it's a small defect, hardly noticeable upon initial inspection but on closer inspection it's a serious defect and would get worse to the point of breakage.  Worth a try anyway 👍.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, herne said:

If all else fails you could still try.  Banks call this type of transaction "Customer Not Present" ("CNP") such as mail order, online purchases etc.  By their very nature they are a higher fraud risk and Banks take action accordingly by enhancing their authorisation process in order to cover themselves from loss.  Even if you told them during the bank transfer you'd seen the item you could still say it's a small defect, hardly noticeable upon initial inspection but on closer inspection it's a serious defect and would get worse to the point of breakage.  Worth a try anyway 👍.

Good idea and I'll contact my bank.  Thank you.

34 minutes ago, Steve Paterson said:

I'd like to name the seller here but GDPR could probably bite me and it wouldn't serve any purpose.  I don't know if it's possible to do a member search in this group in case he has an account - will check.  

I can't see why naming a person who put their own identity into the public domain in order to sell an item can be controversial if you stick strictly to the facts.

Nor do I see why the manufacturer would refuse to repair a faulty product. If you're not the original owner then, sure, they'd charge you for it but, if they refused, the negative publicity would be disastrous. 'No repair out of warranty' is not something any manufacturer wants to have attached to their name.

Olly

4 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I can't see why naming a person who put their own identity into the public domain in order to sell an item can be controversial if you stick strictly to the facts.

Nor do I see why the manufacturer would refuse to repair a faulty product. If you're not the original owner then, sure, they'd charge you for it but, if they refused, the negative publicity would be disastrous. 'No repair out of warranty' is not something any manufacturer wants to have attached to their name.

Olly

I could be wrong olly but I think there is a forum rule on naming and shaming?

Adam

It's difficult to comment without knowing where it was bought from and how much (near new price or very cheap). And if there is any redress (via Ebay etc), and if it was advertised as 'as new' with what pictures.

From the brief mention of his response it would seem he is referring to cleaning discussion and cleaning instructions. It looks a little dusty so some cleaning (dust blower) could help, and does it actually work OK? Has that area been like that unchanged - did he mention anything related to the area of concern and why he did not clean it if it's so easy?

Perhaps it an be cleaned professionally and depending that cost and what you paid for the camera, ask for him to cover the cleaning.

@Steve Paterson Looking at your posts I see you purchased the camera secondhand, not from a retailer.

Have you asked your seller where he originally purchased the camera from?

If your seller agrees to contact his retailer then perhaps the retailer will arrange repair for him under warranty.

HTH,

Steve 

• Like 3