SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want...

A Borg 90 FL. It's got to be the perfect grab and go travel scope out there. Just 2 kgs. Small. The best RFT that can do planets and doubles too? And capable of taking pretty pictures.

It's on my long-term wish-list. I only have to sell an internal organ or two, and find a convincing reason why I need a fourth telescope.

Has anyone actually looked through one?

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

*sigh* Seven of Nine, resistance is futile LOL.

Seriously though I have a hankering after one of their 55mm f/3.6 astrographs, but realise that for the use I'd get £1600 oe so would be silly.

• Like 1

My ZS66 came to me with a large Starfleet sticker over a scratch, so I suppose I should ensure editorial balance by getting the Borg.

The 107 FL looks quite manageable too...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ags said:

A Borg 90 FL. It's got to be the perfect grab and go travel scope out there. Just 2 kgs. Small. The best RFT that can do planets and doubles too? And capable of taking pretty pictures.

It's on my long-term wish-list. I only have to sell an internal organ or two, and find a convincing reason why I need a fourth telescope.

Well you could always get it’s sibling in the meantime, Ags. Even more portable 

image.thumb.jpg.d9a806cb9fd430126b4003bbbf552244.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, flourite lenses by Canon Optron, same as Tak, very light weight, super versatile due to modular construction. What's not to like? I had a Borg achro f/6 some time ago, it had virtually the same amount of CA as my f/16 Skylight, maybe less. Very good scopes. 

Downside? Really not cheap.

Edited by Roy Challen

5 hours ago, Ags said:

My advice would be, 'Don't get too excited till you have looked through one.' Telescopes are full of words; apochromatic, doublet, triplet, Petzval, fluorite... Great things, words (says a former English teacher) but you can't look through them...

Olly

• Like 2

I have a Borg 101mm f6.5 and it's .... nice. Though I couldn't tell you what model it is. Borg gear is a bit like IKEA. You get a collection of pieces and have to work out for yourself what goes where. As for upgrading it ... a parts number nightmare.https://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/80a-sys.gif

Edited by pete_l
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

My advice would be, 'Don't get too excited till you have looked through one.' Telescopes are full of words; apochromatic, doublet, triplet, Petzval, fluorite... Great things, words (says a former English teacher) but you can't look through them...

Olly

If I can't get excited about a 90 mm f5.5 fluorite doublet that weighs 2 kgs and disassembles like an 1970s movie assassin's rifle, exactly under what circumstances should I get excited? 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

52 minutes ago, Ags said:

If I can't get excited about a 90 mm f5.5 fluorite doublet that weighs 2 kgs and disassembles like an 1970s movie assassin's rifle, exactly under what circumstances should I get excited? 🤣

🤣 Get excited by a telescope you've looked through and you know you like.  Beware of preconceptions when internet dating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olly

• Like 1

Olly, the adverts can't do ALL the work. You have to work with the adverts to get to the magical "Add to Shopping Cart" click. 🤣

Edited by Ags

1 hour ago, Ags said:

That reminds me. I must re-read Day of the Jackal

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pete_l said:

I have a Borg 101mm f6.5 and it's .... nice. Though I couldn't tell you what model it is. Borg gear is a bit like IKEA. You get a collection of pieces and have to work out for yourself what goes where. As for upgrading it ... a parts number nightmare.https://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/borg/80a-sys.gif

Even the diagram artist seems to have given up at the end and just not bothered labelling it, and given you a toilet roll tube to look through 😂

80a-sys.gif.0f8f3f6646a6c40ec39508fc9157ec04.gif

Edited by badhex
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, badhex said:

Even the diagram artist seems to have given up at the end and just not bothered labelling it, and given you a toilet roll tube to look through 😂

80a-sys.gif.0f8f3f6646a6c40ec39508fc9157ec04.gif

It's meant to be like that.  If you have to ask what they are, you can't afford it 😂

• Haha 1

On 14/05/2022 at 10:37, JeremyS said:

Well you could always get it’s sibling in the meantime, Ags. Even more portable 

image.thumb.jpg.d9a806cb9fd430126b4003bbbf552244.jpg

Ah, ever so tempting!  I just bought a 50mm RACI finder that takes interchangeable EPs to play with.  Unfortunately, the back focus is designed for an illuminated EP and the regular EP has to be lifted up about 10mm in the diagonal to come to focus.  But it was only $50 US and I made a EP spacer out of packing foam.  Could become my ultimate grab-n-go.

• Like 1