Narrowband

Source of high-quality secondary flats

I have a need for a high-quality secondary mirror of 48-50mm minor axis. It’s to replace the current 63mm one I have on my 200mm scope. Aside from the obvious UK optical outfit, whom I’d prefer not to trouble with my business, are there any other convenient, say, UK sources?

I did buy a high quality 70mm Hubble Optics from astroshop.eu last year which now adorns my 300mm, but that took 5 months to arrive.

Or perhaps someone has a VX8 or CT8 with a 50mm and would like to swap up to my 63mm for AP purposes? Win all round.

Cheers, Magnus

In Europe, there are two excellent choices :

I have one set of newtonian optics from Romano, very good quality, reasonable prices and short lead times. Franck Grière (Mirro-sphere) has an excellent reputation too.

Edited by Dan_Paris
  • Thanks 1

On 12/05/2022 at 21:00, Dan_Paris said:

In Europe, there are two excellent choices :

I have one set of newtonian optics from Romano, very good quality, reasonable prices and short lead times. Franck Grière (Mirro-sphere) has an excellent reputation too.

Of all these options the only one that suits is the 47.5mm Zen secondary. The others are either too small or too big. 47.5mm is right on the small limit for me, but just about inside my window. Unfortunately it's not clear from their website how I go about actually ordering one, but I'll admit my understanding of Italian is not good! Can anyone help me howto make an order?

Thanks, Magnus

Edited by Captain Scarlet

1 hour ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Of all these options the only one that suits is the 47.5mm Zen secondary. The others are either too small or too big. 47.5mm is right on the small limit for me, but just about inside my window. Unfortunately it's not clear from their website how I go about actually ordering one, but I'll admit my understanding of Italian is not good! Can anyone help me howto make an order?

Sizes are just guidelines (this holds both for Romano Zen and Franck Grière) so if none of them  fits your needs you can ask for a custom size (this is what I did for my order).

Regarding ordering,  just send an email to Romano explaining what you need. Once you both agree on the order  he'll make your optic and send you an invoice when it's done. Quite old-fashioned style business but very straightforward; personally I prefer that over impersonnal web shops. I don't speak Italian either, but using automatic translation was trouble-free.

Lead times are usually quite short. My set of Newtonian mirrors (200mm f/4 and 74mm secondary), custom-made for me,  was ready just one month after my order.

Dan

Edited by Dan_Paris
  • Thanks 1