SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Test-driving my new filter

With 78% moonlight and no more astro darkness, I wasn't expecting much last night. I decided to give my Optolong L-Enhance filter a test drive around Cygnus.

All images 24x60 sec unguided with flats, darks and offset/bias. William Optics ZS 61 with modified Canon 600D.

Sadr and associated nebulosity. Last year, without a modified camera I couldn't get any of the HA. This is very encouraging. 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.03fff3aa454ae9150836b9b254217663.jpeg

Part of the Cygnus Loop including the Western Veil and Pickering's Triangular Wisp. It was right in the bottom right hand corner of the frame. Again, really pleased with the HA. I couldn't get it at all last year - just buried in noise.

image.thumb.jpeg.adb00c8135e478df3c7ee7139937fdd6.jpeg

A rather strange looking Deneb and part of the North America Nebula. I was just pointing to a place in the sky where I thought it might be. 😀

image.thumb.jpeg.963c6f52a027ca8385f89241f3b726a1.jpeg

All in all, a very satisfying and encouraging session. It was pleasant yesterday night and I spent quite a lot of time just sitting and observing with a pair of bins. I have a 200mm lens coming at some point in the next 60-90 days. I'm looking forward to using it for some widefield fun in Cygnus over the summer.

• Like 2

I'm impressed, especially considering the bright Moon and less than half an hour of exposures.

I might try one of those filters. There seem to be lots of similar ones to choose from. Was there any particular reason you chose that type?

Thanks, Jim

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm impressed, especially considering the bright Moon and less than half an hour of exposures.

I might try one of those filters. There seem to be lots of similar ones to choose from. Was there any particular reason you chose that type?

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim

I had read some articles/posts and seen some videos. I was impressed by some galaxy shots someone had done with an L-Enhance from a bortle 8.

As you can tell, I'm really quite pleased with it but have nothing else co compare it to except my SkyTech CLS which isn't all that effective against moonlight.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Astro Noodles said:

Hi Jim

I had read some articles/posts and seen some videos. I was impressed by some galaxy shots someone had done with an L-Enhance from a bortle 8.

As you can tell, I'm really quite pleased with it but have nothing else co compare it to except my SkyTech CLS which isn't all that effective against moonlight.

Thanks, Jim