Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright fragmenting fireball observed/recorded - 11 May - 23:40:02 UT

I had just started a new clip when the fireball appeared, about 2 seconds in, so managed to get a good look at it.  I estimate around -10  or -11 mag. This was also an unusually long event at around 7 seconds. I suspect it might have dropped meteorites, but probably in the Atlantic.

Here's footage:

View: https://vimeo.com/708888654
Download: https://vimeo.com/user83167831/download/708888654/88f788be3b

Equipment/settings Sony a7SII + Sigma Art 201.4 @ f1.4 - 130s, ISO 12800, 30 FPS - Ninja V recorder/monitor recording in 4K pro-res, Slog2 (vivid setting set on camera).

Weird how in the footage it seems to speed up a bit around 2/3 of the way through the event. Anyone else notice that?

Edited by Leo S
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looking at some of the images from UKMON cameras of the event, it seems it may not have come down in the drink after all!

Can anyone get to https://fireballs.imo.net/? Trying to submit my report, and I got to page 12, but looks like it's down at the moment :( I refuse to sleep till I can get a report posted (otherwise it'll be posted the following day), but it's starting to get late, even for me!

This must have been what I see last night!!!

I was lying in bed last night looking at the stars, and I saw the biggest green meteor flying through the sky and burning up a huge green fire ball in its path, I could not believe my eyes and was in total shock, never seen anything like it, it was so big and low, looked like it crashed a few streets away from us, when it crashed the entire ground where it landed shined bright green when it struck, I’m still in shock now tbh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tingting44 said:

This must have been what I see last night!!!

I was lying in bed last night looking at the stars, and I saw the biggest green meteor flying through the sky and burning up a huge green fire ball in its path, I could not believe my eyes and was in total shock, never seen anything like it, it was so big and low, looked like it crashed a few streets away from us, when it crashed the entire ground where it landed shined bright green when it struck, I’m still in shock now tbh

Yes, observing a brighter event for the first time can be a little overwhelming to say the least. I still get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck even though I observe multiple events every year usually. Welcome to the weird world of extra terrestrial material entering the atmosphere!

I think the fireball would have been quite high in the sky where you were, so at/close to it's brightest. This event was bright enough to almost completely over-saturate some UKMON cameras. Probably the brightest event over the UK in a few weeks that has been reported. Typical that there's a big fireball, and the fireball report form is out of action!