Narrowband

Stella Lyra 8"Classical Cassegran 8TH May mosaic

neil phillips

Wasnt the best seeing. But enough to get a reasonable result out of Flos superb Classical Cassegrain. Downsized from capture size ( oversampled anyway) 

ZWO 178MM Player one IR685 EQ5 PRO

8th may 60.png b.png 2.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Thanks Kon thats something very important to me. Once the naturalness is gone. Everything is gone. So i try hard to get that balance if possible

And you have it spot on. I feel that I often oversharpen  mine, and if the seeing is not there I shouldn't force things.

43 minutes ago, Kon said:

And you have it spot on. I feel that I often oversharpen  mine, and if the seeing is not there I shouldn't force things.

Yes its in the quality of the capture. the more you have that down. The easier it becomes to hold back processing wise. Not just seeing.  But capture and processing quality is equally influential. Why i suggested to you. sure you would go further with a dob drive. But its all money i know how things can often be tight for equipment. I havent always had the money i  wanted for astronomy myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Yes its in the quality of the capture. the more you have that down. The easier it becomes to hold back processing wise. Not just seeing.  But capture and processing quality is equally influential. Why i suggested to you. sure you would go further with a dob drive. But its all money i know how things can often be tight for equipment. I havent always had the money i  wanted for astronomy myself.

To be honest, I am mostly visual with my Dob and the imaging I do is for a bit of fun, but I see your point if I want to improve on the quality.

10 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be honest, I am mostly visual with my Dob and the imaging I do is for a bit of fun, but I see your point if I want to improve on the quality.

Just something to think about if you ever want to get more. Dont forget the planets are going to be really spectacular this year. With a drive even your visual will be nicer. But i hear you. Sometimes its not something someone wants to do at that level. Personally i think you would love it. But thats your call not mine. Whatever you do i know your having a blast. And thats what its all about. Clear out here setting up my bresser for a blast. Speak later cheers for the earlier comments

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

As usual, a cracking image Neil. You certainly put time and energy into getting things right 👍

Hi Trevor. I have the time. Not always the energy as i get older. But still enjoying doing it after all these years. Most of the time its just second nature.

I really want to go larger again at least 12".  That really takes stamina i found. But you dont get something for nothing

Yep I totally agree with all thats said above Neil. I am really looking forward to the coming season and to seeing what the classical cassagrain can produce. Going by your luna images we are all in for a treat.

2 hours ago, morimarty said:

Yep I totally agree with all thats said above Neil. I am really looking forward to the coming season and to seeing what the classical cassagrain can produce. Going by your luna images we are all in for a treat.

Thanks Martyn i suspect its going to be my workhorse for obvious reasons. Jupiter and Mars should fair well. Saturn will likely need the Orion. Which will certainly be getting some action. Once the planets are better placed. All the early shots with the Lyra CC. Keep checking for Saturn to appear over the opposing roof. As of this morning its not there yet.

Cheers

2 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Keep checking for Saturn to appear over the opposing roof. As of this morning its not there yet.

😀 me too. The extra light gathering power and sharper contrast of the big orion makes alot of sense . It certainly did not let you down with saturn last year.

22 minutes ago, morimarty said:

😀 me too. The extra light gathering power and sharper contrast of the big orion makes alot of sense . It certainly did not let you down with saturn last year.

Good to hear you checking too. Great minds think alike 😁

Edited by neil phillips

Lovely fine detail and quality as usual Neil.   As always a real pleasure to see your work.   

Me........   nothing for months.   Worst run of weather ever for me.    Middle of may....  still cold,  still clouds and rain 90%.    I have only managed a single imaging session in the last couple months - daytime.   Results OK....  but, of course being daytime nothing to be excited about.

Glad my friends are faring better.  :)

Mike

2 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Lovely fine detail and quality as usual Neil.   As always a real pleasure to see your work.   

Me........   nothing for months.   Worst run of weather ever for me.    Middle of may....  still cold,  still clouds and rain 90%.    I have only managed a single imaging session in the last couple months - daytime.   Results OK....  but, of course being daytime nothing to be excited about.

Glad my friends are faring better.  :)

Mike

Hi Mike. Sorry to hear about the extended period of bad weather its frustrating i know. All dressed up for a party with no where to go. Usually happens with me. When i want to test a particular bit of equipment or some such. Anyway hope your drought ends soon. Thanks for the kind comments. We should catch up sometime. Its been a while. Lately ive been going all solar. Very different to lunar. But some similar parallels. Its very interesting.