Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focuser upgrade for 130p

Hi guys,

im looking to upgrade my focuser for the skywatcher 130pds ( the one that comes with the az gti and az pronto not the imaging version  as I have had it for a while now and would like to change the one it came with which unfortunately feels a tad cheap.). What do people usually recommend? Are most Focusers usually Universal or are there limited options? I have seen that skywatcher make an official one open to peoples opinions.

Olli

I think the biggest upgrade for the money would be replacing the black ring that has the two thumb screws, with one that has the brass compression ring design. It unscrews and I have seen someone else use that mod on their 130P-DS. I know my own 130P-DS seemed like it had focuser sag, when in reality the two metal pinchers just couldn't grip my coma corrector properly and it was flopping around no matter how tight I made them!

I don't know if the tube itself can handle enough stress for the focuser to become the problem however... Just touching the guidescope in the shoe is enough to show us signs of the thin metal flexing. You also introduce the risk of causing light leaks and further deforming the tube by changing the whole focuser. This scope is a real cheapo so I don't know if it's worth spending the same money as the scope cost new to put a good focuser on it or not.

Hopefully others come along with there experiences too!

10 hours ago, Olli said:

Hi guys,

im looking to upgrade my focuser for the skywatcher 130pds ( the one that comes with the az gti and az pronto not the imaging version  as I have had it for a while now and would like to change the one it came with which unfortunately feels a tad cheap.). What do people usually recommend? Are most Focusers usually Universal or are there limited options? I have seen that skywatcher make an official one open to peoples opinions.

Olli

Hi Olli, just for a little clarity, your title says 130P, the text above says 130pds, and sig says 130ps.

By reading between the lines I would guess you have a 130P with the basic single-speed focuser? the 130PDS is the one with the dual-speed focuser, not sure there is a 130PS.

For the price of a new focuser, you may be better off looking for a used 130PDS and selling the existing tube, just a thought? Sometimes they even come up with a coma corrector included.

For example - https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=185832

48 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

Hi Olli, just for a little clarity, your title says 130P, the text above says 130pds, and sig says 130ps.

By reading between the lines I would guess you have a 130P with the basic single-speed focuser? the 130PDS is the one with the dual-speed focuser, not sure there is a 130PS.

For the price of a new focuser, you may be better off looking for a used 130PDS and selling the existing tube, just a thought? Sometimes they even come up with a coma corrector included.

For example - https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=185832

Hi , thanks for the advice after doing a bit more research it does seem a bit pointless to upgrade the focuser as the Sky-Watcher  one is nearly the same as the scope you suggested. Only reason why I didn’t  want to replace the scope  was because it was  the first one I had got and it was a gift so has some sentimental value. This was the one I tried to describe. Might have got  confused. I will have a further look into the imaging version.https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html 

Edited by Olli

11 minutes ago, Olli said:

Hi , thanks for the advice after doing a bit more research it does seem a bit pointless to upgrade the focuser as the Sky-Watcher  one is nearly the same as the scope you suggested. Only reason why I didn’t  want to replace the scope  was because it was  the first one I had got and it was a gift so has some sentimental value. This was the one I tried to describe. Might have got  confused. I will have a further look into the imaging version.https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html 

Ah yes I'd forgotten about the PS version with it's non-collimatable mirror

So the good thing is you have a versatile mount in the AZ-GTI so you could go for a 130PDS, I've recently picked up a Skymax 127 on an AZ-GTI and am really liking it so far! You could even look at something like that or a short tube refractor depending on your interests and it gives you a good excuse to keep the gifted 130PS, just a thought?