Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

INCOMING iOptron HEM27 Hybrid Harmonic Drive Equatorial GoTo Mount

iOptron have revealed their new HEM27 Hybrid Harmonic Drive Equatorial GOTO mount 🙂 

Using harmonic drive technology (first seen in robotics) for the RA movement and a backlash-free DEC worm/belt drive design, the HEM27 delivers remarkable weight to payload efficiency. 

Payload is 13.5 kg / 29.7 lbs (from a mount that weighs only 3.7 kg / 8.15 lbs) without needing a counterweight or shaft! 

iOptron HEM27 Hybrid Harmonic Drive Equatorial GoTo Mount

iOptron HEM27 Hybrid Harmonic Drive Equatorial GoTo Mount with iPolar

iOptron HEM27-EC Hybrid Harmonic Drive Equatorial GoTo Mount with Encoders

iop_hem27ec_ipolar_sgl.jpg.d475169c2ebc534b696e427ab8b3f740.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vineyard said:

Avalon

I hadn't heard that Avalon were doing one. Do you have a link please?

I think it's too early for any comparisons, only Rainbow (and Crux?) have a product which is currently in the market place, and ZWO probably would have were it not for COVID in China. There is a ZWO Mount forum on Facebook where the results of actual use are available.

Ian

Edited by The Admiral

1 hour ago, The Admiral said:

I hadn't heard that Avalon were doing one. Do you have a link please?

I think it's too early for any comparisons, only Rainbow (and Crux?) have a product which is currently in the market place, and ZWO probably would have were it not for COVID in China. There is a ZWO Mount forum on Facebook where the results of actual use are available.

Ian

My bad, Avalon is not harmonic but a belt-driven alternative: https://www.avalon-instruments.com/products-menu/mounts/evo-zero-detail to it.  Still v pricey, esp as a non-harmonic?

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

My bad, Avalon is not harmonic but a belt-driven alternative: https://www.avalon-instruments.com/products-menu/mounts/evo-zero-detail to it.  Still v pricey, esp as a non-harmonic?

But at least with some of their mounts it may not be necessary to do a meridian flip! (Shorter scopes mainly). Quality though.

Ian

Odd choice as I consider zero backlash of a harmonic drive driven Dec to be one big advantage. So this is basically saving money and allowing no counterweight imaging by removing one harmonic drive.  But it's not significantly cheaper than the ZWO. So not sure hot to feel about this one. 

Edit, just noticed its 1kg lighter than the ZWO so that is nice. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1