Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Corrector plate broken a few small bits on mirror

Hi guy’s 

wondering if any one can help me my sct corrector plate has cracked and there is a few bits small glass on the primary mirror what would be the best way to remove them without scratching the mirror 

thanks in advanced 

Thanks for the help guys.

Going to try the hoover with the small head attachment  to suck the glass away hope I get it all off. 
I have a replacement corrector plate from celestron for the scope in the works.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dillon80uk said:

Thanks for the help guys.

Going to try the hoover with the small head attachment  to suck the glass away hope I get it all off. 
I have a replacement corrector plate from celestron for the scope in the works.

Do Celestron send out replacement correctors? I thought that at one time they required that the OTA was sent to them.  David

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Why would it be scrap? Surely they are mass produced to the same tolerances so a new corrector should work the same as the old?

That's the theory, but.........  During construction of a SCT the factory use a number of optical and mechanical adjustments to optimise the performance of the optical set, a procedure that many owners may feel uncomfortable with.      🙂

46 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Why would it be scrap? Surely they are mass produced to the same tolerances so a new corrector should work the same as the old?

Apparently with older SCTs the primary, secondary and corrector plate were figured as a set, rendering replacement of one component impractical. Hence the advice to mark the orientation of a corrector plate before removing it.

With later SCTs and improved production methods, it is said that the orientation does not matter and parts may be replaceable.  One of the links above is to a 3rd party maker of replacement corrector plates, which one assumes work with recent SCTs.

Unlucky owners will have to compare the cost of repair with the value of a used SCT.

• Like 2