Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Diy one arm Dob mount...is it possible?

Frad76

Hello everyone,

I have tried to find on the forum a solution to my question, to no avail unfortunately.

I have a 12" F5 OTA , I'v sold eq mount and the other bits it came with and I was wondering if anyone can point me out (or discourage me) on how to build a dob mount using the bar that joins the rings together, I was thinking to drill it and find a way to make an enough sturdy arm with plywood.

I am ok working out the dob base but I am not actually clear on how can I make it work on one arm (knob, teflon to be used etc)

Can a one arm mount be built or the weight will be too much counting that I am dealing with a 30ish Lbs tube please?

I am contemplating this alterantive in order to avoid buing a router just for this job and take advantage of the fact that I could make only straight cuts using a saw/circular saw.

Thank you for any reply and I am so sorry if I maybe did not explain myself correctly. English is not my first language and tech jargon is a tad difficult to grasp for me.

I would strongly recommend making a two arm mount - it will be quicker, easier and overall use less material.  To make a single arm version, even if you had a fully equipped engineering workshop, would be a difficult task to achieve.  If you look at commercial mounts the single arm variety is restricted to the very smallest scopes only.

• Like 2

+1 for the conventional 2 arm mount.
Another benefit is that you can easily lift off the OTA for transport.
I think this is important for a 12" F5 tube - I have one on a 2 arm base.

The woodwork doesn't need a router. You can use a jigsaw, which can be a low cost model - and is usable for other jobs.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

I also agree on the conventional 2-arm mount - it’s simple to make one that’s rock solid. When I made mine I used a cheap jigsaw. I don’t own a router. I bought the jigsaw several years ago for another protect. Then it cost £20 from Scewfix. Looking now it’s £25 but it’s not a lot and has been said is useful for other jobs. 

• Like 1

Agree with all the above comments. If you don't want to purchase more tools go to your local Men's Shed ( there are plenty in West Yorkshire ) who will help you with this project.

Every Men's Shed is different and members experience and tools available will vary so try more than one if your first one doesn't have the facilities you require.

https://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/

Nigel

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Astrobits said:

Agree with all the above comments. If you don't want to purchase more tools go to your local Men's Shed ( there are plenty in West Yorkshire ) who will help you with this project.

Every Men's Shed is different and members experience and tools available will vary so try more than one if your first one doesn't have the facilities you require.

https://menssheds.org.uk/find-a-shed/

Nigel

I did not know about that, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

This does remind me. Our street has a WhatsApp group and I’ve used that to ask if anyone can loan various tool, bits and bobs etc when I’ve been in a pickle. Most are more than happy to help if close by. If you have something similar it would be worth considering. 

Men's Sheds do vary a lot. My local, of which I am a member, has just about every common tool for woodwork, some donated ( in various states of condition) and some new stuff purchased via grants. We have just got a new table saw with 12" dia blade ( bigger than most of those often sold for hobbyists ) able to handle full 1220mm x2440mm sheets with ease.

Nigel

you could make a single arm mount but it would be much heftier than a normal dob mount, I think upto 6 inch would be ok but after that the traditional type is better.

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Yes, it can be done.  I built this 14" as well as a 16" and 17" but I had adequate facilities and the materials were mostly aluminium.     🙂

IMG_9772.JPG

Glad to see the wet collodion process has made it to Lancs, Peter

😊

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Glad to see the wet collodion process has made it to Lancs, Peter

😊

Actually, it was a pinhole camera shot on photoreactive paper.  Taken just after mid day according to the gnomon.     🙂

• Haha 2