SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible to image planets with a DSLR?

Hi Everyone, 

I have been doing some reading on imaging planets and was wondering if it’s possible to do it with a DSLR? I know people usually recommend an Astronomy camera to take videos ( I think?) Is it a completely different method to imaging deep sky?

Thanks in advanced 

I've found it different and used registax for stacking the DSLR frames I had taken (it had been the Moon I had taken) though video is generally used.

What DSLR do you have?

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I've found it different and used registax for stacking the DSLR frames I had taken (it had been the Moon I had taken) though video is generally used.

What DSLR do you have?

I currently have a canon 250d. Is it harder when stacking frames to using video?

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Autostakkert or registax process straight from the video to output a single image to tweak and sharpen

Thank you, will try and do more research. 

On 07/05/2022 at 19:49, Olli said:

I have been doing some reading on imaging planets and was wondering if it’s possible to do it with a DSLR?

As others have already said video is best for planets. Looking at your kit of 130ps & the WOZ73 have you considered if you will get enough of a zoom to capture details on the planets?