SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

6th May

neil phillips

Seeing was better in places. But still not what i am sure the equipment can do. 

Probably the best from the Newtonian so far though. Other captures to run through. But the intricate detail on this spot can be seen a little. And is very interesting.

245mm Newtonian stopped down to 190mm F8.4  Baader 3.8 film. Baader Solar Continuum Filter. GSO IR block. ZWO 178mm EQ5 pro

CONTINUUM MONO.png

CONTINUUM C.ti.tif D.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, vineyard said:

That's lovely (esp the mono).  One day I hope to make an open-truss solar newtonian (essentially a 150mm wedge!)🤞🏾

Thanks Vinyard. And yes i think your thinking in the right direction. What i think i am learning is. Long Newtonians that are blocked off. My Europa is sealed ( but with small air holes drilled in the back ) seem to produce a lot of thermals. its far from ideal. So air circulation around the primary and secondary seem to be a good idea. But of course how to do it. With out too much light leakage. 

of course refractors SCTs ect are sealed. And they perform good. But refractors being smaller cope better. SCTs being shorter. Also likely cope better. This is all guess work. But i can see the difference between 5" refractor and 7.5 Newtonian. The refractor is far more stable. And consistent. This long Newt. is a nightmare. Finding it hard to get it to perform to its potential. I realize a lot of it is seeing. But that is not the whole story i dont believe.

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Very nice. Your best yet definitely.

Hi Freddie. going in the right direction. I think i like this continuum filter. It did seem to enhance detail slightly. And possibly seem less affected by disturbance. Although i am not sure if seeing was just better. Time will tell. Cheers Freddie. You should have a go of this spot. its very intricate. Yours would look a lot better than this. 

Edited by neil phillips