Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron StarSense Explorer 8" Dobsonian Telescope !!!!!

So it seems Celestron are about to "up the ante " by introducing an 8" dob with their Starsense " push to " system ... this could be a game changer for people wishing to utilise the scope to its fullest capacity . At £695 its not cheap but i reckon its a winner . Looks nice too in their silver livery and the base has a more modern look .  :)  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So it seems Celestron are about to "up the ante " by introducing an 8" dob with their Starsense " push to " system ... this could be a game changer for people wishing to utilise the scope to its fullest capacity . At £695 its not cheap but i reckon its a winner . Looks nice too in their silver livery and the base has a more modern look .  :)  

And a 10” dob version too. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Looks like a Skywatcher focuser.

52 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

And maybe I like the misery of making tea!

image.png.2c4235b1ea79a7bd3afc67084976a134.png

I just wish Celestron would make a Starsense system for other scopes - I'm sure they'd sell thousands. It's supposed to be far more accurate than relying on star alignment and a phone's gyro.

• Like 1

They do a version for Skywatcher mounts as well, though stock is non-existent in UK at the moment.

Note: It's the mount that is aligned/controlled as the camera on the starsense does the plate-solving. Just for those who are not familiar with them who may read this thread.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

They do a version for Skywatcher mounts as well, though stock is non-existent in UK at the moment.

Note: It's the mount that is aligned/controlled as the camera on the starsense does the plate-solving. Just for those who are not familiar with them who may read this thread.

This is the smartphone version - a phone cradle attaches to the OTA and uses a mirror to allow the phone camera to see the sky. The app does the plates-solving.

Some on this forum have purchased the cheapest Starsense scopes just to get the phone cradle for their own scope and the app license!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I just wish Celestron would make a Starsense system for other scopes - I'm sure they'd sell thousands. It's supposed to be far more accurate than relying on star alignment and a phone's gyro.

59 minutes ago, Pixies said:

This is the smartphone version - a phone cradle attaches to the OTA and uses a mirror to allow the phone camera to see the sky. The app does the plates-solving.

Some on this forum have purchased the cheapest Starsense scopes just to get the phone cradle for their own scope and the app license!

I was responding to the comment by cajen2, perhaps I have mistaken that as a request for the full Starsense with camera for other brands. 🤔

No way is the phone cradle/mirror setup better.

15 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

I was responding to the comment by cajen2, perhaps I have mistaken that as a request for the full Starsense with camera for other brands. 🤔

No way is the phone cradle/mirror setup better.

It is for the LISA plate solving. There's no reason for the system to go out of alignment..... theoretically, that is! 😉

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/05/2022 at 09:29, cajen2 said:

I am waiting for Celestron to wake up to that fact as well.  

Given Celestron have proved the concept, it can surely only be a matter of time before someone else steals the march on them if they don't.

In the meantime, there is always the option to buy the cheapest scope in their range (currently the lt80az I believe) and jury rig the phone holder onto another scope.

It might be a long wait. Celestron (according to a post on cloudynights) have already rejected the idea of selling the cradles/app on their own.  It's a unique selling point for their own scopes, an advantage they don't want to share, and possibly leads to brand loyalty (in their estimation).

They probably have stats on take up of the system based on downloads/registrations which they base their decisions.

8 minutes ago, Giles_B said:

Given Celestron have proved the concept, it can surely only be a matter of time before someone else steals the march on them if they don't.

In the meantime, there is always the option to buy the cheapest scope in their range (currently the lt80az I believe) and jury rig the phone holder onto another scope.

9 minutes ago, Giles_B said:

In the UK we have an additional model, the LT 70AZ, that is even less expensive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/05/2022 at 11:01, Pixies said:

Interesting that you mention this, when I picked up my 8” model at my local shop the owner said that he has had customers buy the least expensive starsense scopes just to plunder the starsense module. I though he was kidding, I guess it does happen.

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

Interesting that you mention this, when I picked up my 8” model at my local shop the owner said that he has had customers buy the least expensive starsense scopes just to plunder the starsense module. I though he was kidding, I guess it does happen.

yep, that's why I bought mine (LT70AZ) tho I've quickly built a carrier to use on other scopes with some delrin sheet and a prism which works great. The LT70 will be going to my daughter and kids after some improvements I've made to it 🙂 

• Like 1

Does anybody know if Celestron has patented any part of their Starsense technology?  It's not like plate solving is a novel concept, however applying it to DSCs may be novel enough to patent.  I ask because what is to keep others from adding it to their own planetarium apps and turn them into DSCs?

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

Does anybody know if Celestron has patented any part of their Starsense technology? 

It’s a sure bet they patented the module and software, and who knows what other aspect of it.

Just now, Sunshine said:

It’s a sure bet they patented the module and software, and who knows what other aspect of it.

I'm curious if anyone has the patent number(s) because I'd like to read up on their claims section(s).

35 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I'm curious if anyone has the patent number(s) because I'd like to read up on their claims section(s).

Under the module, does that mean it’s not yet an approved patent? I’m not familiar with the process.

88F0B503-A7B1-482F-9113-51E96D6371E6.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Under the module, does that mean it’s not yet an approved patent? I’m not familiar with the process.

88F0B503-A7B1-482F-9113-51E96D6371E6.jpeg

says same under the NexYZ eyepiece phone holder which this mount is based on. There's no 'about' in the app to give any clues about author/patents/copyright etc that I can see.

This is an interesting question - I’ve seen “patent pending”  and more recently “StarSense Explorer technology is patented” on their website.

Typically a patent would be granted post filing (patent application), and the pending refers to the not yet granted phase!

A bit of rough and ready searching this afternoon (what else to do whilst enjoying a sunny afternoon in the garden…!) on Google Patents and Justia easily pulls up patents relating to plate solving and optical systems (possibly linked to Celestrons other StarSense camera products for auto alignment on their SCT’s   For example) 

Patent numbers 8477419 and 8401307 for example. These articulate multiple embodiments - so may stretch to the system we are discussing here. ( haven’t forensically read them yet). 

I also came across the patent for their NexYZ phone adapter - a similar version of which is found in the StarSense phone dock. 
Patent number 10795146

All interesting stuff  - I’m off to enjoy the sunny weather now so if anyone else on the forum can provide more clarity I’d be interested. 😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Astro_Dad said:

This is an interesting question - I’ve seen “patent pending”  and more recently “StarSense Explorer technology is patented” on their website.

Typically a patent would be granted post filing (patent application), and the pending refers to the not yet granted phase!

ahh but it perhaps was applied for but wasn't yet granted on the earlier manufacturing runs so they wouldn't be able to cite the patent number and couldn't claim that it was yet.

On 21/06/2022 at 10:49, Giles_B said:

LT70 is the smallest I could find to buy in order to cannibalize the starsense unit from.