SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Colour gradient in bias frames

The bias frames from my ASI2600MC Pro have a colour gradient in them when de-bayered. (they look normal when un-debayered). I gather this is because of a white balance setting in the ZWO native driver for the camera which needs to be set at 50 someplace. But I am not sure where to set it! The alternative (apparently) is to use the ASCOM driver, but I think I'd prefer to solve the problem with the native driver as a first choice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bias.JPG

bias debayered.JPG

Hi Stuart, there's an older post with a similar query but for dark frames (see below). It sound like it's not a problem with the camera and you can accept it as is. 

I remember reading the reason why this happens a number of months ago, but sadly I can't find the source right now. If memory serves, I believe the reason for the colour gradient comes from the way the data is read out from the columns/rows of each colour channel in the CMOS sensor which results in this gradient across the vertical columns presented in your image. I'm happy for the more technical people to correct this if I've got the wrong end of the stick :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard_ said:

Hi Stuart, there's an older post with a similar query but for dark frames (see below). It sound like it's not a problem with the camera and you can accept it as is. 

I remember reading the reason why this happens a number of months ago, but sadly I can't find the source right now. If memory serves, I believe the reason for the colour gradient comes from the way the data is read out from the columns/rows of each colour channel in the CMOS sensor which results in this gradient across the vertical columns presented in your image. I'm happy for the more technical people to correct this if I've got the wrong end of the stick :)

Thanks. I have since found out from Stefan Berg that NINA does in fact set the values correctly in the driver, so it's all fine. I was only debayering the master bias out of curiosity, but I now understand that it doesn't matter.