SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2 scopes but do i need a third for solar ha imaging

iwols

Hi all looking at a solar setup but just wondered what you would recommend ,already have a C8 edge which i think is a no no,and i already have a ts optics quad 100mm,just wondered what you guys recommend/suggest for the most cost effective/image quality route would be thanks

Are you thinking Quark or a dedicated solar scope? Are you more interested in close up of spots and proms or wider full diameter of the sun? Budget?

Edited by Freddie

I appreciate a lot of people havent the time or inclination for this which is fine if thats the case. I would start with what you have already. Find out what you can and cant do with these scopes. Its the best way to learn and the most fun to find out the answers to these questions. You'll understand why you bought what you did rather than just because someone told you.. 

One possible route with your kit would be the C8 with a Quark combo, but this would need an off axis sub aperture ERF.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/COMBOQuark.shtml

I don’t think the 100mm Quad would be particularly suitable so other options are a dedicated Ha scope such as the Lunt LS50 or 60. A lot depends on your budget. You could also look at a 100mm f7 apo with a Quark. You wouldn’t need a full aperture ERF for it, just a filter on the front of your diagonal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Lunt 50 is a fine all round H/A scope, but double stacking mine made it a so much better. Obviously comes at a price. Have you considered the 2nd hand market? 

I know the Quarks have had some quality issues, so i am not sure i would consider the 2nd hand market. 

• Like 1