Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQM-35 Pro or EQ-5 Pro

m0pxs

I do a little astrophotography and some visual work and am debating which mount to get to supplement my Star Adventurer, I realise there is 1 Kg difference in max load, but as I am unlikely to near that with any of my equipment or imaging then that doesn't bother me, but as these two are a similar price and similar specs (except the fact that the eqm-35 is modular and can also be used as a star tracker) I am at a loss as to which to go for, any constructive advice would be most helpful

Thanks in advance

Phil

Can't help much, but I have an EQ5 Pro, I have no problems with it except for the adjustment bolts (which is a well known problem, they can be swapped out for better ones).   I run it through an asiair but have used the handset in the past, again had no problems. 

Had it for a good 4 or five years, not really done any maintenance, it spent most of last year outside under a cover, a few spots of rust on a couple of the screws but no other probs.  

I am just about to start guiding after having a few problems with my guide cam so I can't tell you how well it tracks when guiding but I usually get 60sec subs unguided, that's with an Ed80 and cannon 450.

All in all I'd say its a good mount.  Never had any problems. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm in the same situation...I have a Star Adventurer and want something that can support more payload and is a go-to mount.   I have a back and knees that no longer want to polar align 'the old-fashioned way." I am looking at the EQM-35, but it gets a lot of criticism about poor go-to precision with the handheld controller., and also about very tight/stiff RA and DEC movement. But I like its light weight (9#). Whatever I get, I think it will be combined with the ASI Air so I can polar align and use its go-to functions, and auto-guiding too.

Good luck with your search!

Edited by Dionysus