SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Darned darks driving me dotty

BrendanC

Yes, this is about amp glow, but my other trials and tribulations have been about light leaks, flats, bugs in software, exposure times, gain, offset, ADUs, and a bazillion other things with this mono setup. It's very like when I moved from an AZ mount to EQ, the increased sensitivity and different workflow have both been quite tough to surmount.

Aaaaanyway, to cut a long story short I lost my mind I think that, as of last night, the way ahead is clear. The new flats from my light box seem to have made a big difference, as does going down to -20C, and wrapping the snood around the focus tube, well, I'm not sure what positive difference it made, but it didn't cause a problem so it's staying.

Very first cut of the Sunflower Galaxy, still to add luminance and a touch of Ha:

image.jpeg.e8749f00b8f5022c0eaab47869709740.jpeg

I possibly could have done this with the previous calibration files and at -15C, but this was a dream to process. I almost didn't have to denoise at all.

I have tried without darks, but I didn't like the result. I may try it again sometime, but at least I've overcome some more hurdles with a lot of help from the good folk here. :)

Edited by BrendanC
  • Like 2