Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Steve L's Beginner tour of the Messier Catalogue.

Steve Loy

So, My observatory is now up and running and the other night saw my first foray into trying it out.

My first session was spent mostly calibrating and tweaking but I did manage to point at M3 and grab a screenshot.

It then occurred to me that as a starter project, to get used to the equipment and setting etc, I should start simple, and  what could be more simple that trying to work my way through the messier objects in turn?

I realise most of you will have seen the M objects hundreds of times and that they may hold little value anymore, but, I wonder if it would be ok for me to document my journey through the catalogue here? (maybe even putting them in order by reserving posts for objects I need to go back to?)

Either way, here is the first Screengrab of my first EEVA session from my New Obs.

M3 - Globular cluster

image.png.9809bfa97bed83d140d9ab0db20929e0.png

• Like 4

I think this thread will be very useful to lots of people wondering what is possible with EEVA, and what are the best settings for various types of DSO. I definitely have evolved different settings for different DSO types e.g. I find something like a log stretch works well with globular clusters.

I probably haven't seen all the M objects in EEVA-mode as I tend to visit them if they're close to some other object I'm looking for, or to check alignment (I hope Messier would have approved...). Only this year did I see M78 for the first time (glorious in colour).

Martin

• Like 1

Well that’s good to hear. 
My plan is to transition from SLL to Jocular at some point soon, so I can add in all the annotations and info about the pics. (which I am sure is going to be a further learning experience. )

• Like 1