SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dew heater power supply, Asiair and Pegasus power box conundrum.

I would like to use a couple of eyepiece dew heaters on my smallish setup. The imaging scope is the Evoguide 50ED and the guidescope is the ZWO mini. The Asiair is powered by on of these:

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply | First Light Optics

with:

Quick Charge 3.0 Car Adapter, 180W 12V/24V 4USB Ports Cigarette Lighter Adapter with 3-Socket Car Splitter 6.6A LED Voltmeter Car Charger (Red): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and the Az Gti is powered separately by:

TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack for LED Strip, Tape Light, CCTV Camera and More, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

this is attached to one side of the Az Gti using this system:

Universal - Universal Adaptor - Quad Lock® UK - Official Store (quadlockcase.co.uk)

I know I could use a LynxAstro controller powered by the 3 socket car splitter but I don't really want to have to start connecting a laptop just to control the dew heaters but this one doesn't need that:

HitecAstro single-channel, dual-port Dew Controller | First Light Optics

Ideally I'd like to power the dew heaters from the Asiair but there is no way I can see to power a controller by the Asiair.

One "solution" might be to get a Pegasus Power box micro

Pegasus Powerbox Micro - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

Then I could power the Asiair, the Az Gti mount and 2 dew heaters using the environmental control system in the Pegasus, the Powerbox being powered by the Nevada power supply.

Criticism  gratefully received and ideas about how other people control power to accessories.

22 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I use a Anker 20000 mAh/72wh power bank runs two dew strips easily for at least two sessions and wasnt that dear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384293397266?epid=5035118538&hash=item5979abe312:g:YJAAAOSwja9g~Fh4

Thanks, have something similar to charge my phone, the problem is that the small dew heaters I'm thinking of are not usb powered.

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

Ideally I'd like to power the dew heaters from the Asiair but there is no way I can see to power a controller by the Asiair.

The ASIAIR Pro is a controller isn't it?  I use dew heaters with my ASIAIR Pro using one of these connected to an ASIAIR Pro power port:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-dc-to-rca-y-splitter-cable.html

image.png.30e9a25889781661adc7d4549a5d3e90.png

(They are linked to direct from the "frequently bought with this product" area of the ASIAIR.

Within the ASIAIR software, you can turn the voltage up or down on a power port you designate as "Dew heaters". 

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Dew Control have a choice of connector, RCA, cigar plug, 2.1mm or 2.5mm. 

I've not tried their dew heaters, but it would save adding more kit. ;)

Thanks for this link, I've just spoken to Tim who will change the connectors on the dew straps to fit my Asiair and will also cut the power cables down to a more suitable length. I've also ordered a usb light panel, a very pleasant and obliging fellow!

• Like 1

On 03/05/2022 at 08:18, LaurenceT said:

I would like to use a couple of eyepiece dew heaters on my smallish setup. The imaging scope is the Evoguide 50ED and the guidescope is the ZWO mini. The Asiair is powered by on of these:

Nevada PS-08 6-8A Regulated Linear Power Supply | First Light Optics

with:

Quick Charge 3.0 Car Adapter, 180W 12V/24V 4USB Ports Cigarette Lighter Adapter with 3-Socket Car Splitter 6.6A LED Voltmeter Car Charger (Red): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and the Az Gti is powered separately by:

TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack for LED Strip, Tape Light, CCTV Camera and More, Black : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

this is attached to one side of the Az Gti using this system:

Universal - Universal Adaptor - Quad Lock® UK - Official Store (quadlockcase.co.uk)

I know I could use a LynxAstro controller powered by the 3 socket car splitter but I don't really want to have to start connecting a laptop just to control the dew heaters but this one doesn't need that:

HitecAstro single-channel, dual-port Dew Controller | First Light Optics

One "solution" might be to get a Pegasus Power box micro

Pegasus Powerbox Micro - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

Then I could power the Asiair, the Az Gti mount and 2 dew heaters using the environmental control system in the Pegasus, the Powerbox being powered by the Nevada power supply.

Criticism  gratefully received and ideas about how other people control power to accessories.

I used to use three different types of batteries. One for the mount, one for camera and one for asiair pro. The dew heaters were usb type powered between two of the batteries that had usb ports. 

I then got of that and got the Pegasus powerbox you have linked to. This is perfect as it powers everything. The dew heaters only come on when needed due to the power box controlling them. I power the power box from a car jump start battery system that has a 12v cigarette type socket on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

I used to use three different types of batteries. One for the mount, one for camera and one for asiair pro. The dew heaters were usb type powered between two of the batteries that had usb ports. 

I then got of that and got the Pegasus powerbox you have linked to. This is perfect as it powers everything. The dew heaters only come on when needed due to the power box controlling them. I power the power box from a car jump start battery system that has a 12v cigarette type socket on it.

Do you mean you got rid of the Asiair too?

1 hour ago, LaurenceT said:

Do you mean you got rid of the Asiair too?

Sorry, that wasn't as clear as I had hoped. No, I still use the asiair pro but this is now powered off the powerbox along with 2 dew heaters and the heq5 pro mount. So basically I have a jump start kit that powers the power box which powers the asiair, dew heaters, heq5 mount etc.. Making the whole setup portable, i.e. not mains powered.

Edited by Chefgage

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

Sorry, that wasn't as clear as I had hoped. No, I still use the asiair pro but this is now powered off the powerbox along with 2 dew heaters and the heq5 pro mount. So basically I have a jump start kit that powers the power box which powers the asiair, dew heaters, heq5 mount etc.. Making the whole setup portable, i.e. not mains powered.

I'm still considering the Pegasus box but I've got to get my head round the fact that while the Pegasus is a power device the Asiair is a power box and a computer. The way I'm set up is the Asiair powers the camera, guide scope, 2 dew heaters and a mini wifi router, my Az Gti is powered by a small power brick battery. What I need is for someone to explain why I need to add another power device, the Pegasus, into the equation. The only advantage I can see is that the addition of the Pegasus will take the "strain" off the Asiair in terms of power and perhaps the environmental sensoring for the dew heaters.

I'm still mains powering the setup after some advice on here, I'll get a battery device such as a Jackery if I find I want to travel.

51 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I'm still considering the Pegasus box but I've got to get my head round the fact that while the Pegasus is a power device the Asiair is a power box and a computer. The way I'm set up is the Asiair powers the camera, guide scope, 2 dew heaters and a mini wifi router, my Az Gti is powered by a small power brick battery. What I need is for someone to explain why I need to add another power device, the Pegasus, into the equation. The only advantage I can see is that the addition of the Pegasus will take the "strain" off the Asiair in terms of power and perhaps the environmental sensoring for the dew heaters.

I'm still mains powering the setup after some advice on here, I'll get a battery device such as a Jackery if I find I want to travel.

One of the reasons for me is that when using two dew heaters that would draw too much current which would sometimes disconnect my camera from the asiair. As the Pegasus box has dedicated dew connections that also control the dew heaters based on temperature and humidity this means they are not on all the time. So for me that was a requirement.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2022 at 14:06, LaurenceT said:

For my AVX / C8 SCT rig I use the ZWO 12 5A PSU to power the ASIAIR Pro.

This provides power to imaging camera ASI 1600/183/284 Cooled.

EAF (the newer USB powered version) and filter wheel data and power are via the imaging camera USB hub.

8” dew heater power is from the No. 2 power port.

No issues to date with power.

Currently power the mount from a separate 12V ZWO PSU, but did run my AVX from the ASI AIR Pro for a while. The only reason I use separate power is that I have 2 x 12v Phazer batteries from Halfords for mobile use.

CGX-L /10” Quattro was managed from Pegasus Advanced, 1 USB hub provided power to a stick PC.

Filter wheel and focus motor data via imaging camera USB.

Mount, focus motor and imaging camera powered from 3 of the 12V ports.

Dew heaters from the relevant ports.

Overall power from Pegasus PSU.

The power stick ran SGPro, PHD2 for scheduling and guiding.