Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mercury and the Pleiades

petevasey

As you know, Mercury passed near and South of M45 at the end of April. Generally cloudy weather in NE England at that time, but the evening of 29th April was clear although with a lot of moisture in the air, and as luck would have it, Mercury was at its closest to M45.  I had a clear view of a low Western horizon, and was able to capture the attached.  Canon 700D with Canon 400L lens (400mm fl) at f 6.3.  Stack of 15 x 4 second subs at ISO 800.  North is up, so the horizon is tilted by 30 degrees.

As you can see when it was dark enough (22:19 BST) to show the brighter stars of the Pleiades, Mercury (4 degrees altitude) was fast sinking into horizon murk!   Sod's law kicked in today, so the even more interesting view this evening of both objects with a thin crescent Moon in a straight line parallel to the horizon was clouded out 😡

Cheers,

Peter

Mercury and M45.jpg

Edited by petevasey
Corrections
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well spotted, now corrected!  In the words of the immortal Captain M  'I wondered when someone would notice that'.  For those who are new to this thread, I originally had a typo: M25 instead of M45.  Oops!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by petevasey