Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting a little better, slowly

Jeff5567

It's a slow process, & everyone is correct, seeing conditions are key. Hazy with hunidity today but, I did enjoy what I got & saw between clouds- which is the point. Additionally I think the ground heat from the hills affect the 'seeing' too........& not to mention my beginner post processing skills.......image.thumb.jpeg.b7cec13b34fafe27a3f475fa0c6dbb0d.jpeg

20220502_181047.jpg

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Beautiful scenery and Solar close up. What a back drop for astronomy, what are skies like at night light pollution wise?

Thanks Pete. Light pollution is very low- 10 min out of town almost zero. We are quite rural here

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Sounds fantastic, is imaging earlier in the morning an option for you. Before the temperature has started to rise? 

I'm in an apartment while the house is getting completed & in the morning the sun rises behind to building wall this time of year. It's only possible from the back balcony after 2pm. It has its benefits as I can sit out all morning  without being toasted.......

• Haha 1

On 02/05/2022 at 20:39, newbie alert said:

Nice image and location Jeff.. take it's not the UK? What was your capturing equipment please

Hi, its Southern Kenya, just between Tsavo East & West parks. I have a William Optic 73, ZWO 174MM, Daystar Quark Chromo & use a AZ GTI mount. I did also buy the Solar Quest mount but  wish I'd not wasted my money as the AZ GTI is way easier to set up, & tracks perfectly 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Could a Solarquest mount get any easier? You just turn it on...and that's it! Nice image though, whichever mount.

The issue I have is once it clouds over the tracking is lost, & then you have to return to the tedious toggle switch. You can control the Az GTI via your device making to tour of the sun easy, & it keeps tracking regardless of clouds. Way better IMO, & you can use it for nighttime too......the Quest is a one horse show, & the AZ Gti is quicker to set up, just slew it manually then press Point & Track. They should have made it wireless, not just GPS guided . No arguing it does work, if you have a GPS signal, or limited clouds