Narrowband

M13 Globular Cluster

First light for my ASI2600MM Pro. I have been using an ASI2600MC Pro with my Esprit 100 for the past year, but as I tend to follow an LRGB workflow now it made sense to have a go using a mono camera. Very happy with the results so far. I have also switched to an OAG which has improved my tracking a bit as well. Anyway, this is 2hrs 20mins of luminance and 120mins total for RGB. Comments good and bad always welcome.

M13.jpg

• Like 22

That looks very nice to me. You've managed to keep the core really well defined. The full resolution images shows really good stars all the way to corners with lots of colour. Nice even background too.

GC's are the hardest thing to image in my opinion and this one looks excellent to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

That looks very nice to me. You've managed to keep the core really well defined. The full resolution images shows really good stars all the way to corners with lots of colour. Nice even background too.

GC's are the hardest thing to image in my opinion and this one looks excellent to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing.

Adrian

Thank you. GC's are indeed a bit tricky. I initially had the stars in the core better defined but I feel, at least to me anyway, that this tends to make the cluster look more like a disc of stars rather than a ball. Nothing wrong with either look, but I definitely prefer the 'ball' look.

• Like 1

Very nice.  Not sure what processing software you use, but ther are ways to reduce the brightness of the core in all platforms.  I would not be surprised at all if you had stars resolved to the core.  They are just being hidden by teh glare.  There could be some clipping--but maybe not.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Very nice.  Not sure what processing software you use, but ther are ways to reduce the brightness of the core in all platforms.  I would not be surprised at all if you had stars resolved to the core.  They are just being hidden by teh glare.  There could be some clipping--but maybe not.  

I use Pixinsight and Gimp. You are correct, the stars in the core are actually well resolved, but I'm always a bit torn between really bringing out the central stars and leaving a bit of glow as I feel the cluster can end up looking a bit 'flat'. However, I actually uploaded a revised version to Astrobin yesterday that has the core a little more resolved and the background stars muted a little to make the cluster 'pop' a bit more.

image.thumb.jpeg.f11b8cccdb9c34f804222d4c20280e8f.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ParallaxPete said:

I use Pixinsight and Gimp. You are correct, the stars in the core are actually well resolved, but I'm always a bit torn between really bringing out the central stars and leaving a bit of glow as I feel the cluster can end up looking a bit 'flat'. However, I actually uploaded a revised version to Astrobin yesterday that has the core a little more resolved and the background stars muted a little to make the cluster 'pop' a bit more.

image.thumb.jpeg.f11b8cccdb9c34f804222d4c20280e8f.jpeg

There us go. Just right.  You have revealed core stars but have kept the glow of the raging  furnace. 

• Thanks 1