Jump to content

1565608528_ReflectionNebulositybanner.jpg.5b3647faf258fca0cd9c62694d6e7b71.jpg

SVBONY 80mm Triplet


Recommended Posts

Looks like svbony have an 80mm, f6 triplet coming out at the end of the month.  Looks pretty decent and at a good price too at £676 on their website, so probably somewhere north of £700 on Amazon or similar.

https://www.svbony.com/svbony-sv550-80mm-ed-x2-f-6-apo-ota/

 

Also looks to be releasing an aluminium handle/finder rail for £32.  Looks a bit odd but could be handy.

Will be interesting to see how it performs given their 503 is apparently very well performing (although it is a doublet with fpl-51).  Certainly been an interesting year for amateur astronomers.

Screenshot_20220430-205531.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 80mm f/6 fpl53 triplet used to hover around the £1k mark. If this is true, it's going to be a bargain (even cheaper than the FCD100 version that I have which I paid 750 for).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just had a closer look at this. It’s likely to be the same as the TS photoline 80mm triplet. Same specs and I don’t think Svbony manufacture their own optics? Not sure who manufactures them for TS. 
 

Anyway the price for the TS and the Svbony are actually comparable. The prices on the Svbony site don’t include VAT so it seems better than it is. 
 

 

Edited by Icesheet
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Icesheet said:

Just had a closer look at this. It’s likely to be the same as the TS photoline 80mm triplet. Same specs and I don’t think Svbony manufacture their own optics? Not sure who manufactures them for TS. 

If you hunt around the following websites, you might be able to identify which company makes it based on mechanical similarities:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I emailed SVBONY to ask about this scope as I was genuinely interested. Amongst other things I asked for confirmation that they were using FPL-53. I received no response and when I was back checking I noticed they have updated their website to state that the ED element is actually FPL-51! Thought I would post here in case anyone was thinking of, or maybe had already ordered. I notice some third party vendors still show it as FPL-53. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/06/2022 at 13:47, Icesheet said:

I emailed SVBONY to ask about this scope as I was genuinely interested. Amongst other things I asked for confirmation that they were using FPL-53. I received no response and when I was back checking I noticed they have updated their website to state that the ED element is actually FPL-51! Thought I would post here in case anyone was thinking of, or maybe had already ordered. I notice some third party vendors still show it as FPL-53. 

So, it should give color correction similar to an FPL-53 doublet, but with longer cool down time.  Compare lines 63 ad 64 along with 42 and 44 below.

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

So, it should give color correction similar to an FPL-53 doublet, but with longer cool down time.  Compare lines 63 ad 64 along with 42 and 44 below.

spacer.png

Who said anything about comparing colour correction? 🤷🏻‍♂️
 

The post was to alert people that may have ordered thinking they were getting an FPL-53 triplet and are likely actually getting an FPL-51 triplet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just pointing out that all is not lost even if it is an FPL-51 triplet.  Yes, it was certainly misleading when it was labelled as an FPL-53 triplet, but FPL-51 triplets can be pretty decent performers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.