Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UFO...... Unidentified Fuzzy Object

Petrol

I was out imaging last night and saw a fairly bright ball of light. I tried swinging the scope around to image it but it had moved behind a house.
It appeared static in the NNW for a short time then moved to the NNE but I did manage to take a pic on my phone.
I double checked the sky and there was no cloud. After I looked at the pic on my phone it had gone. It appeared to be about 2/3 the size of the moon.
I've seen many fascinating things whilst sat outside at night but never something I could't explain. I don't believe in UFO's or little green men! Science usually comes up with an answer.
Wondered if anyone could shed some light as to what it was
Original and cropped pics below.
Thanks for looking
Pete

Original.jpg

20220430_000902dhdfhdfh.jpg

Edited by Petrol
  • Like 1

• Petrol changed the title to UFO...... Unidentified Fuzzy Object
  • 2 weeks later...

Chinese lanterns (paper hot air balloons) are often offered as an explanation. Being large and light they respond quickly to changes in wind direction, drafts etc.  Launching an uncontrollable burning object into the sky; what could possibly go wrong?

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Launching an uncontrollable burning object into the sky; what could possibly go wrong?

It's not just the fire hazard.  In rural areas, the wire frames have been ingested by grazing livestock.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

It's not just the fire hazard.  In rural areas, the wire frames have been ingested by grazing livestock.

Not good. I live in an area of high fire risk and it remains a possibility that a holidaymaker, unaware of this, might launch one of these things. However, the risk is trivial next to battalions of halfwits playing with their telephones when they are supposed to be driving.

Olly