Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Bracknell, Berkshire

Bluesboystig

Hi all, recently moved out of the big smoke to Bracknell. I've just bought my first pair of binoculars as a way back into staring at the night sky before dumping all my savings on new expensive toys :) 

I read there are a fair amount of people from nearby so it would be great to catch up and meet others, i.e. squeeze every drop of knowledge out of their brain :) 

Looking for some suggestions about decent enough sites to go to (needle in a hay stack I suppose...)

Thanks and hopefully catch you soon!

Simone

Welcome to SGL and Bracknell!

I'm in Bracknell myself. Depends where in Bracknell you are/how far you want to travel. I've never gone mobile myself but there are a good few clear(ish) views in Swinley forest where the trees have been cleared.  Somewhere near ///oiled.parts.global (lookup on what3words).  If you've only got binoculars then easy to move from spot to spot. 

Thanks everyone, nice to feel welcome!

1 hour ago, Swillis said:

Welcome to SGL and Bracknell!

I'm in Bracknell myself. Depends where in Bracknell you are/how far you want to travel. I've never gone mobile myself but there are a good few clear(ish) views in Swinley forest where the trees have been cleared.  Somewhere near ///oiled.parts.global (lookup on what3words).  If you've only got binoculars then easy to move from spot to spot. 

I'm near Binfield, so not too far away really! The binoculars should arrive today, very excited. I'll play around in the garden and then in case start trying some spots nearby. Veri excited 

3 hours ago, Bluesboystig said:

I'm near Binfield

You're very quickly away from houses up there so should be a few spots about. Unfortunately looking south would be over the town and all the lights

I lived in Binfield for a while, but before I got into astro. There is a house with a brick (probably disused) observatory in the garden...

Hi Simone and welcome!

Binoculars are a great way to start off and to pull out when you just want a “peep”  without setting up equipment. Excellent choice. Binoculars will provide some amazing sights.

Hi @Bluesboystig/Simone and welcome to SGL :hello2: from Lower Earley. :bino2:

As well as Reading Astronomical Society as mentioned by @rwilkey/Robin above, (of which I am a member), there is/or used to be an astronomy club/society in Bracknell: https://bracknellastronomy.co.uk - just looked at the site and appears to have no activity. 🤔

There are a few 'local' astronomy clubs/societies also in the Thames Valley.

Edited by Philip R

Welcome to SGL Simone, from someone who also moved from London to Bracknell some years ago (and then later, onward to the west country).

I didn't do any observing in Bracknell, but I do remember driving a few minutes out of town to show comet Hale-Bopp to my young son. It was a great sight, even naked eye.

Edited by Zermelo
typo

Just bagged my first two objects ever, and I'm chuckling like a kid! I managed to find the Beehive Cluster in Cancer (it looked sooooooo awesome) and Melotte 111 in Coma Berenice. I need to learn my way around the sky properly, can't wait for more! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluesboystig said:

Just bagged my first two objects ever, and I'm chuckling like a kid! I managed to find the Beehive Cluster in Cancer (it looked sooooooo awesome) and Melotte 111 in Coma Berenice. I need to learn my way around the sky properly, can't wait for more! 

Nice ones! Well done 👍