Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A new Whirlpool

powerlord

Just from subs last night. 200PDS, asi533. 300 second subs. 4 hours of subs.

Came out quite nice. I might try combining all my data on M51 sometime, but I quite like trying new every time too.

2 below,  one with a bit darker background, one with a more flat look. whiich do you prefer ?

stu

M51v2.thumb.jpg.4d5eb12cdf1d472187313f3d9212d97f.jpg

M51v3.thumb.jpg.b7b18f969cc17d2fb335a10c9e671be1.jpg

• Like 10

I liked the second one best, the one with the lifted background. I think in your third pic the contrast inside the galaxy went a bit too far and it looks a bit out of place compared to the rest of the image.

M51 looks maybe a bit too high in magenta, almost like you imaged without an IR cut window/filter or H-alpha blending went wrong or something. Minor gripe though since the picture looks great anyway.

I agree magenta wise. I did shoot with ir cut, no ha. I actually thought I'd toned the magenta down but it's come back somehow. I'll try again and see if I can just tweak the contrast a wee bit, and lose that magenta. 👍

I might star again with this, as I think I'm no getting the colours right. It doesn't help that there are a plethora of different looks to it when you look online.

Might try starting with Siril's photometric calibration. Anywhere v5:

M51v5.thumb.jpg.1f11bc1acc736130bed0bd4c0b0691d0.jpg

5 hours ago, powerlord said:

Just from subs last night. 200PDS, asi533. 300 second subs. 4 hours of subs.

Came out quite nice. I might try combining all my data on M51 sometime, but I quite like trying new every time too.

2 below,  one with a bit darker background, one with a more flat look. whiich do you prefer ?

stu

M51v2.thumb.jpg.4d5eb12cdf1d472187313f3d9212d97f.jpg

M51v3.thumb.jpg.b7b18f969cc17d2fb335a10c9e671be1.jpg

Second one no contest. First looks clipped to me. 

thanks - no clipping though - it was taken down to about 15/15/15 in first one. It's probably your monitor.

I do find that most folks monitors, tvs are set to clip blacks for more contrast. Since I calibrated all my monitors, I see a true dark grey, but on, say my work PC which is not calibrated I see it look like it's clipped.

stu