Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar timelapse - not much happening despite large ARs

tooth_dr

I captured a sequence of 190 x 200 frame videos through my Lunt 60mm and QHY268M around lunchtime.  I processed the data in AutoStakkart 3!, IMPPG, PS, PIPP, and saved the AVI as an MP4 in Movie Maker.   Nice to get the solar scope mounted and easily accessible for use.

It's quite a large file, not sure how to make it smaller and still retain the quality, any suggestions welcome.

Also is there a good way to normalise the data to avoid the 'flickering'

TIA

Adam.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

It's quite a large file, not sure how to make it smaller and still retain the quality, any suggestions welcome.

I use the free tool FFMPEG for this. I've described how to fine-tune the video  bitrate in this post. The description there assumes you have a lossless animated GIF as input, but FFMPEG can work as well with a sequence of frames. Say, you have files someprefix_001_somesuffix.bmp, someprefix_002_somesuffix.bmp, ..., you can then specify the input as:

-i someprefix_%03d_somesuffix.bmp

In related news: Salvatore will enable MP4 uploads to Astrobin this year (in my experience an all-details-preserving H264 video can be 10-20x smaller than the corresponding animated GIF).

• Like 1