Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher Flextube Auto

scotastro

The OTA must come off surely. As Steve says the base comes fully assembled so its not like one has to place the OTA on the base and then user assemble the motor system around the Alt bearing. Or am I understanding you correctly Steve. Do you mean the base comes fully assembled with the ALT motor assembly already attached to the base or is it just the AZ assembly and wooden parts that come pre-assembled but the user still has to install the ALT motor?

This could be very important. ie. If one has to user assemble the ALT motor around the ALT bearing once the OTA is in place, well then YES it would seem that one might have to totally dis-assembly the ALT motor every time one needed to remove the OTA from the base.

However if the ALT motor comes already installed on the base and yet the OTA does not ship already attached to the base, well then one would assume it might be a simpler matter of just unscrewing some kind of locking knob that binds the motor gears to the ALT bearing.

Even if the former is the case, I am sure some genius will come up with some DIY solution that makes it easy to detach the motor assembly. ie. Replacing the screws that hold the motor assembly onto the base with Knobs that screw into threaded inserts in the fork. etc etc

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have thought the obvious solution (assuming it can't be easily split into two pieces) would be the classic Dob "Wheelbarrow" mod - i've seen it used very effectively on a 16" LB, which allowed it to stay in one piece and make it over small steps in the garden

• 3 weeks later...
From Skywatchers importers: We have just been advised by Sky-Watcher that a GOTO Upgrade will NOT now be made available for the Skyliner FlexTube AUTO Motorised Dobsonians.

What does that mean though?

does it mean it wont be available to buy? or it wont be available as the mount will only track, is isnt upgradeable?

:)

What does that mean though?

does it mean it wont be available to buy? or it wont be available as the mount will only track, is isnt upgradeable?

:)

We haven't heard any more, if we do we'll post it here.

Archived