Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher Flextube Auto

scotastro

Now available : Flextube Dobs with Alt Az motorised mount.

The mount is fitted with dual-axis servo motors and encoders in the base unit allowing Automatic Slewing and Tracking of celestial objects (similar to the single arm Auto mount).

Even better the scope can be upgraded to a full GOTO system by the addition of a SynScan AZ handset in the near future.

Apertures are 200mm, 250mm and 300mm. The prices are £300 higher than the basic Flextube models.

Mike

post-14398-133877360621_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by the carrying handles on the side it seems to confirm my first impression from looking at how the Alt drive is attached that once assembled the tube is not removeable and the whole scope has to be carried around in one piece. OK in the 8", manageable for many in the 10" but the 12" could be a problem for many users, that is if the 12" will be available with the system.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they have made it possible to lift the tube off the base.

John

Those must be fairly hefty motors to drive a 14 inch OTA on a dob mount. I wonder how long a power supply would last driving those beasts.

Having said that, the cats seem to drive the big Obsessions ok.

It doesn't actually take much power to drive a dob, that is when it's perfectly balanced. I suspect that the Skywatcher system will be critical on balance. And also it is bound to be a simpler stepper motor system with basic encoders to keep the price down. When Steve puts up the specs and prices later today then we'll know which dob sizes will be available with it.

The ServoCAT is a high end / high precision servo motor system that can handle a lot of inbalance, but then again comparing a £1,300.00 to £1,500.00 drive system to one that's probably worth about £300.00 or so would be very unfair.

Still the new Skywatcher system looks promising as it would bring a driven dob within the reach of most users.

John

I'd be thrilled if I hadn't just bought an LB16 and JMI TNT drive system and Intelliscope DSC and and and......Why couldn't they have leaked some specs 6 or 7 weeks ago. I would still have had the Lightbridge 16 at that stage but because I got it at the discounted and Christmas Euro Sterling parity price of 1100 euros I could have sold it at a profit what with the post Christmas price of GBP1800/2400 euros!!

Drat and double Drat!!

I would be very surprised if the OTA couldn't be lifted off the base. No doubt behind the controller in the image there is a knob or something to lock an OTA bearing axle to a pulley wheel etc

I've been looking at the photo again to try and figure out how the OTA attaches.

It could be that on the driven side there's a gearwheel monted on the OTA that would simply drop onto another gear in the base drive unit. Then the OTA could simply be lifted off without actually unscrewing anything on the drive side. Just the standard screwed in handle on the other side perhaps.

John

I've been looking at the photo again to try and figure out how the OTA attaches.

It could be that on the driven side there's a gearwheel monted on the OTA that would simply drop onto another gear in the base drive unit. Then the OTA could simply be lifted off without actually unscrewing anything on the drive side. Just the standard screwed in handle on the other side perhaps.

John

I think whether you can easily lift of the OTA is key - I have the 10 inch standard tube (so marginally heavier than the flextube?) and I am uncomfortable carrying it all together more than a couple of feet.

Steve, do you know what the answer is?

I have a feeling that you aren't meant to lift the tube off once assembled.

Interestingly, the base comes pre-assembled, not flat-packed IKEA-style the way the others do.

We are a little snowed under at the moment but we will unpack one of the the 12" models and take lots of pix at the first opportunity.

I have a feeling that you aren't meant to lift the tube off once assembled.

quote]

Judging from my experiences with my Lightbridge 12" and the short time I owned a Skyliner 10", that could be a real issue - I certainly can't move the Lightbridge more than a few inches in one piece and it's only the fact that the OTA quickly lifts on and off the mount that makes it a feasable instrument in my circumstances, which are probably not unique.

John

Steve

Here's a few questions (including earler question about removing OTA) about the new system, once you've had the chance to assemble one:

1. Can the scope be used manualy, or only by the handcontrol?
  2. Can the OTA be removed?
  3. If the OTA can't be removed what's the total weight of the scope?
  4. What sort of power supply or battery capacity is recommended?

John

P.S.

If the OTA can't be removed can a SkyWatcher Dobsonain Moving Trolley be coming soon?

1. Can the scope be used manualy, or only by the handcontrol?
  2. Can the OTA be removed?
  3. If the OTA can't be removed what's the total weight of the scope?
  4. What sort of power supply or battery capacity is recommended?

James has volunteered to take one home with him for a test-drive so expect answers and pix soon :)

Call me a cynic but looking at the photo of the new FLEXTUBE AUTO I predict it will be available from APRIL 1

Vlebo

Ooops !! I take my earlier comment back.

My 12" FLEXTUBE may be up for sale soon, as new and hardly used etc, etc

Vlebo

Archived