SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M101 LHaRGB

Jonk

I'm not usually one to dabble with L_RGB, I'm too used to NB images,

However, a friend of mine shared his recent data (SW Esprit 120 + SX674 with Chroma LRGB and Ha filters) of M101 so that I could have a go.

I've tried all sorts of methods of star removal, noise reduction, deconvolution and general processing, and although there's a lot not to like about this image (if you look closely), there's a fair amount that I'm content with.

A couple of the main issues were uneven gradients (Bortle 5 skies) and a noisy lum background.

Anyway, here's my effort after a few hours of processing in Pixinsight. I couldn't explain the workflow as it was different methods and this one appeared to be the best of the bunch.

1166817234_L_HaRGB(better).thumb.png.2343c2936f344517c9f99e1fd326cff7.png

• Like 4

Wow, I'm just working through my data of M101 from yesterday and it's so rubbish comparing to your image!! Congrats mate. What have you got here? Can you share some details of the integration time, please?

PS: I'm also imaging from Bortle 5, LRGB, haven't tried adding Ha yet. How much do you reckon it improved the image?

He tells me that the masters are calibrated and stacked as:

R 148 x 5min

G 100 x 5min

B 100 x 5 min

L 251 x 2min

Ha 20 x 30min

I have said to him that RGBs should really be taken in bin 2, so he's going to try this on the next target. I also think longer subs of L would be possible, maybe even up to 5 mins.

The ha is added to show it up in small blotches, it's definitely noticeable.