Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Excellent H-alpha seeing and great phone shot!!

As recommended by @Stu in this thread I tried to take some RAW shots with my OnePlus 7 Pro, Evostar 72ED and Daystar Quark and it turned out extremely well if you ask me!! The seeing was very good, and I actually observed with my 18mm Baader Classic Ortho for about half the time and with the 32mm Baader Plössl the rest. The following images were taken with the 18mm while the seeing was quite good:thumbright:

PSX_20220422_190634.thumb.jpg.35d3df0b54a169008a60dea085a6ad64.jpgPSX_20220422_190155.thumb.jpg.13ec971fa01686e4a3e58a2ff7828fff.jpgPSX_20220422_182103.thumb.jpg.c9d161e8111d03ca25e8663631ff4321.jpg

All of the images were shot in color, turned into B&W and edited in Photoshop Express. I have never caught this amount of details in filaments and active regions before, and then through my Evostar 72:ohmy: You can even see the double limb effect from the photosphere below (not an interesting feature visibly, but I find it impressive that a phone camera caught it).

While observing the western limb I noticed a new AR bubbling with a white glow visible. This region is also visible in the images and can be seen at roughly the 1 o'clock position.

Hopefully you folks also have managed to observe the current disk. Lots to see!!!

Victor

• Like 9

Thanks both of you!! Appreciate the kind words:thumbright:

2 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

As your title says, great phone shot! I'd go even further; fantastic phone shot! Is this a single frame or stacked? 

Malcolm

This is a single frame straight from the camera app:grin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Highburymark said:

These are remarkable Victor. I know nothing about solar imaging with phones - didn’t know such results were possible 👍👍

Thank you Mark!! I was very surprised too. I think the conditions must also have played an important role 👍 

Victor

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 20:37, Victor Boesen said:

As recommended by @Stu in this thread I tried to take some RAW shots with my OnePlus 7 Pro, Evostar 72ED and Daystar Quark and it turned out extremely well if you ask me!! The seeing was very good, and I actually observed with my 18mm Baader Classic Ortho for about half the time and with the 32mm Baader Plössl the rest. The following images were taken with the 18mm while the seeing was quite good:thumbright:

PSX_20220422_190634.thumb.jpg.35d3df0b54a169008a60dea085a6ad64.jpgPSX_20220422_190155.thumb.jpg.13ec971fa01686e4a3e58a2ff7828fff.jpgPSX_20220422_182103.thumb.jpg.c9d161e8111d03ca25e8663631ff4321.jpg

All of the images were shot in color, turned into B&W and edited in Photoshop Express. I have never caught this amount of details in filaments and active regions before, and then through my Evostar 72:ohmy: You can even see the double limb effect from the photosphere below (not an interesting feature visibly, but I find it impressive that a phone camera caught it).

While observing the western limb I noticed a new AR bubbling with a white glow visible. This region is also visible in the images and can be seen at roughly the 1 o'clock position.

Hopefully you folks also have managed to observe the current disk. Lots to see!!!

Victor

Hi Victor. 

I took some sun images using my phone the other day, yours look alot better, is the daystar quark good or would I be better off buying a solar scope.

Thanks dave 

36 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Hi Victor. 

I took some sun images using my phone the other day, yours look alot better, is the daystar quark good or would I be better off buying a solar scope.

Thanks dave 

I am very happy with my quark! I have looked through a coronado PST 40mm and a 40mm lunt a couple years ago. From how I remember the view was like through both scopes, the view through my Evostar 72ED and Quark is superior to both of them. With that being said, I'm sure the view through larger solar scopes is much the same or even better, but often at triple the cost of a quark, if not more.

One thing to note is, that you will only observe the full disk of the sun with focal length lower than about 500mm. This means your larger opticstar refractor will not show a full disk. However, I think it would give you amazing views of active regions and prominences with a suitable energy rejection filter to keep the quark from overheating. For you refractor I'd consider a Baader H-alpha 32nm filter or a full aperture ERF. A UV-IR filter would be right on the limit at that aperture. If you want to do full disk, a small scope like a skywatcher star travel 80mm or similar would be just fine. That's the good thing about H-alpha. The optics don't need to be perfect, as your only observing one wavelength.

Victor

• Thanks 1