Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explosion in Virgo

Littleguy80

Feeling a bit tired but drawn to the clear skies, I had a look at the last supernova reports seeking inspiration. It came in the form of a SN reported in the galaxy NGC 4647 in Virgo, designated 2022hrs. Whilst the listed magnitude was 13.7, I noticed more recent reports putting it at 13.5/13.6, indicating it was brightening. I'm a big fan of event astronomy, things that you can only see for a short period of time. Supernovae, Comets, Asteroid passes and planetary conjunctions have alway drawn me to the eyepiece.

I quickly took the 10" dob outside and checked collimation. I was pleased to find my trusty dob was well collimated, needing no adjustment. I used Acturus to align the finders and then started with M53 as a range finder. The globular cluster showing well as a hazy patch at low power. The transparency looked good which boded well for the session ahead. With my dark adaption improving with each passing minute, I headed straight to Vindemiatrix. From there, I moved into the bowl of Virgo. The first galaxies found were NGC 4762 and NGC 4754. I lingered on these, slowly moving them around the field of view, finding the sweet spot with averted vision. Feeling satisfied that my eyes were ready for the test ahead, I moved onto M60.

The host galaxy of the SN, NGC 4647, sits right next to M60. Looking at images of the SN, I knew I'd find it sitting between those two galaxies. Initially, no sighting at 60x mag. Perhaps something in averted vision at 96x. A definite glimpse of a point source at 120x. When I reached 163x mag, I was feeling confident that I was seeing the SN. I took the final leap to 240x where I felt very confident that the small point of light was the SN. I used two reference stars which appeared in images of the SN and identified them in the eyepiece and SkySafari. My impression was that the SN was a bit brighter than the 13.5-13.7 figures I'd seen online. I moved away and back several times to see if I could repeatedly find it. I like to be sure of my observations! With a satisfied grin, I officially ticked the box of observing my 11th SN, the first of the year. Checking reports this evening, it's now listed at mag 13.0.

I continued observing in Virgo, with a weak observation of the Siamese Twins followed by wonderful views of Markarian's Chain. For a final fun target, I observed the Owl Cluster. Those bright eyes and the delicate chains of stars that create the appearance of an Owl bringing a smile to my face. I started the session feeling tired but came in feeling energised with a big lift in my mood. Time under the stars is a wonderful thing.

• Like 21

I just came home from my dark site after a late session with my 10” dob. Still excited after also observing SN2022hrs and it was nice to read your report.

I was pretty well dark adapted and the sight of the point of light right in the hazy disk of NGC 4647 and M60 just beside it was amazing.

I love seeing supernovae within a visible galaxy. Definitely the sight of the night even though I also had a very nice globular bonanza that I enjoyed a lot.

Also thought it seemed quite a bit brighter than the stated 13.7.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Feeling a bit tired but drawn to the clear skies, I had a look at the last supernova reports seeking inspiration. It came in the form of a SN reported in the galaxy NGC 4647 in Virgo, designated 2022hrs. Whilst the listed magnitude was 13.7, I noticed more recent reports putting it at 13.5/13.6, indicating it was brightening. I'm a big fan of event astronomy, things that you can only see for a short period of time. Supernovae, Comets, Asteroid passes and planetary conjunctions have alway drawn me to the eyepiece.

I quickly took the 10" dob outside and checked collimation. I was pleased to find my trusty dob was well collimated, needing no adjustment. I used Acturus to align the finders and then started with M53 as a range finder. The globular cluster showing well as a hazy patch at low power. The transparency looked good which boded well for the session ahead. With my dark adaption improving with each passing minute, I headed straight to Vindemiatrix. From there, I moved into the bowl of Virgo. The first galaxies found were NGC 4762 and NGC 4754. I lingered on these, slowly moving them around the field of view, finding the sweet spot with averted vision. Feeling satisfied that my eyes were ready for the test ahead, I moved onto M60.

The host galaxy of the SN, NGC 4647, sits right next to M60. Looking at images of the SN, I knew I'd find it sitting between those two galaxies. Initially, no sighting at 60x mag. Perhaps something in averted vision at 96x. A definite glimpse of a point source at 120x. When I reached 163x mag, I was feeling confident that I was seeing the SN. I took the final leap to 240x where I felt very confident that the small point of light was the SN. I used two reference stars which appeared in images of the SN and identified them in the eyepiece and SkySafari. My impression was that the SN was a bit brighter than the 13.5-13.7 figures I'd seen online. I moved away and back several times to see if I could repeatedly find it. I like to be sure of my observations! With a satisfied grin, I officially ticked the box of observing my 11th SN, the first of the year. Checking reports this evening, it's now listed at mag 13.0.

I continued observing in Virgo, with a weak observation of the Siamese Twins followed by wonderful views of Markarian's Chain. For a final fun target, I observed the Owl Cluster. Those bright eyes and the delicate chains of stars that create the appearance of an Owl bringing a smile to my face. I started the session feeling tired but came in feeling energised with a big lift in my mood. Time under the stars is a wonderful thing.

Great report! I was not aware of this supernova. Thank you for the information, I will try to find it tonight. Wishing you clear skies.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davhei said:

I just came home from my dark site after a late session with my 10” dob. Still excited after also observing SN2022hrs and it was nice to read your report.

I was pretty well dark adapted and the sight of the point of light right in the hazy disk of NGC 4647 and M60 just beside it was amazing.

I love seeing supernovae within a visible galaxy. Definitely the sight of the night even though I also had a very nice globular bonanza that I enjoyed a lot.

Also thought it seemed quite a bit brighter than the stated 13.7.

Well done on seeing it. I find SN really exciting too and agree it's better when the host galaxy is visible too. I also love the thought that it's a real look back in time. NGC 4647 is 56 million light years away so we're seeing something that happened that long ago! 

3 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

Great reports and inspiration for a recent 10” Dob owner! 

Thank you. You'll have a lot of fun with the 10" dob. It will show you an incredible amount under dark skies. Last night I was just observing from home which was probably around the high 19's on the SQM though I didn't think to take a reading. The 10" dob is a great all rounder.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Thanks Neil.

Skies have been poor here for a little while, hopefully I’ll get a shot at it soon. Might try the 16” just to be sure!

Good luck, Stu. Fingers for some clear skies! I’ve observed this a couple of times this new moon period. Has been consistently brightening so you have a good shot at getting it. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Good luck, Stu. Fingers for some clear skies! I’ve observed this a couple of times this new moon period. Has been consistently brightening so you have a good shot at getting it. 

Thanks Neil. My garden skies are around mag 20.4 on a good night so should be doable.

Hey guys, I saw this supernova last night, SN 2022 hrs in NGC 4647. It it rather bright, 12th magnitude as you mention and was easily seen in my 10 inch even at 70x. My first time seeing a supernova! Thanks @Littleguy80 for bringing it to my attention!

Joe

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hey guys, I saw this supernova last night, SN 2022 hrs in NGC 4647. It it rather bright, 12th magnitude as you mention and was easily seen in my 10 inch even at 70x. My first time seeing a supernova! Thanks @Littleguy80 for bringing it to my attention!

Joe

Congratulations Joe! I love observing SN, especially when you consider what you’re actually seeing. Very pleased you got your first one :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I need a bigger scope. I really do I am thinking of selling my 5" and saving extra for a bigger dob. 

Would your back be ok with it, Paul? I seem to recall your 8” causing you problems. 

Thanks to Neil - I managed to bag it tonight. That's my second SN, and first this year.

The sky up here is now without astronomical darkness until mid August, so I wasn't hopeful. However, I could easily see 2/3 of the Leo triplet, which gave me a little more confidence.

M60 is easy enough to find. It was visible directly around x100. I could just make out the host galaxy NGC 4647 with averted vision. For reference, mag 11.1 NGC 4638 was just visible with averted vision too. Also, a close star, TYC 0878-0293-1 (from Sky Safari) was just visible with direct vision at mag 11.8

I was getting brief glimpses (averted vision) of a stellar-like object within the haze of NGC 4647. Moving up to x150  increased the visibility, but still only with AV and  it wasn't constant. It reminded me of trying to observe the F star in the trapezium. Any higher magnification resulted in a loss of contrast.

But I'm pretty confident I saw it. It was a definite stellar-like point within the smaller galaxy, slightly dimmer than the nearby mag11.8 star.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Thanks to Neil - I managed to bag it tonight. That's my second SN, and first this year.

The sky up here is now without astronomical darkness until mid August, so I wasn't hopeful. However, I could easily see 2/3 of the Leo triplet, which gave me a little more confidence.

M60 is easy enough to find. It was visible directly around x100. I could just make out the host galaxy NGC 4647 with averted vision. For reference, mag 11.1 NGC 4638 was just visible with averted vision too. Also, a close star, TYC 0878-0293-1 (from Sky Safari) was just visible with direct vision at mag 11.8

I was getting brief glimpses (averted vision) of a stellar-like object within the haze of NGC 4647. Moving up to x150  increased the visibility, but still only with AV and  it wasn't constant. It reminded me of trying to observe the F star in the trapezium. Any higher magnification resulted in a loss of contrast.

But I'm pretty confident I saw it. It was a definite stellar-like point within the smaller galaxy, slightly dimmer than the nearby mag11.8 star.

Yay!  Well done on observing it. There’s nothing other than the SN of that brightness within NGC 4647 from the images I’ve seen so you can definitely chalk up SN number 2 :D 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Would your back be ok with it, Paul? I seem to recall your 8” causing you problems. 

I was going to buy a shed put it in there and wheel it out when using it I think that would get around that hopefully.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I was going to buy a shed put it in there and wheel it out when using it I think that would get around that hopefully.

Sounds like a plan, Paul. Worth starting a thread. I’m sure there are tons of good ideas out there for something like that. 

26 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Sounds like a plan, Paul. Worth starting a thread. I’m sure there are tons of good ideas out there for something like that. 

Thanks Neil when I am closer to buying one I will do just that and get some expert advise.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Thanks Neil when I am closer to buying one I will do just that and get some expert advise.

You could do with something like mine Paul I have Ankylosing spondylitis and can't lift anything heavy but wheeling the 12"dob out of the shed is easy 

• Like 2