Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Todays sun white light and pst

Trevor N

Lots going on at present ! The images are through an ED100 with and without a PST mod. I used a ASI 120MM and imaging source 618. For some reason the ASI produces interference patterns a bit like Newtons rings when I use the mod with a ERF filter over the objective. Haven't a clue why but someone may explain ?

sun Ha 21-04-22.png

sun Ha b 21-04-22.png

sun wl 21-04-22.png

sun wl b 21-04-22.png

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Sunshine said:

When i read "PST" then saw the images I was like Whaaaat? my PST wasn't that awesome! then I realized its a 100mm with PST mod 🤣

Amazing work!

Thanks for the comment. I should really take flats as well to even the field up a bit. One for the future !

A slight tilt somewhere might help relieve the Newton's Rings.
Some cameras are more prone to NR than others.
Some filter systems are more prone to it in H-a.
Monochromatic light and the camera's protective sensor cover will do it sometimes.

Uneven lighting and patchy detail are due to the so-called etalon sweet spot with larger apertures.
I rotate [clock] and mark my Blocking Filter housing relative to the PST etalon.
Rotate your BF and aim for darkest, most even and detailed image.
Electrical tape, on one edge of the BF, is aligned with the bit of tape stuck on the etalon housing. I find it helps.

If your PST mod is still in its original form then you may not be able to play with rotation.
My 150mm PST Mod uses the popular AOK Swiss PST Etalon Housings. One front and one back.

Edited by Rusted
typo

39 minutes ago, Rusted said:

A slight tilt somewhere might help relieve the Newton's Rings.
Some cameras are more prone to NR than others.
Some filter systems are more prone to it in H-a.
Monochromatic light and the camera's protective sensor cover will do it sometimes.

Uneven lighting and patchy detail are due to the so-called etalon sweet spot with larger apertures.
I rotate [clock] and mark my Blocking Filter housing relative to the PST etalon.
Rotate your BF and aim for darkest, most even and detailed image.
Electrical tape, on one edge of the BF, is aligned with the bit of tape stuck on the etalon housing. I find it helps.

If your PST mod is still in its original form then you may not be able to play with rotation.
My 150mm PST Mod uses the popular AOK Swiss PST Etalon Housings. One front and one back.

Thanks very much for the info. I will move the various elements around as you suggest and see what happens