Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What Can I expect from a WOZ73 apo? Visual and AP.

Hi all 

sorry it’s me again…  first of all I just wanted to say thanks for the other post about replacing my dob. I was going to purchase a mak however I’ve unfortunately changed my mind and have to back track again. As I realised it wasn’t what I wanted. 

I think I’ve realised that what I want from a scope is low powered views which are crisp am but can still see the  easier DSOs. So this has made me turn to the William optics zen 73. I understand that this is more of an imaging scope ( which I will also be using it for). But I just wanted to know what the views will be like from the scope? I’m not sure what mount I will be using it on will I need to purchase anything extra, for example a diagonal?  Are there any others refractors in this price range that would be better?

Apologies for the constant posts but I will be there soon … I hope!

clear skies

• Like 1

I have a Zenithstar 66, and under dark skies it shows many DSOs exceptionally well. For example, i was recently viewing M47 and M46 in the same field, or the Leo Triplet. Of course a very low powers it frames a big object like the Pleiades or M31 with enough surrounding sky for context. It has also given very enjoyable planetary and lunar views, and lots of solar fun with a Herschel Wedge. It is also a nice size for a daytime spotting scope. Did I mention is shows off some of the brighter double stars really well? A ZS73 would be similar I expect.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ags said:

I have a Zenithstar 66, and under dark skies it shows many DSOs exceptionally well. For example, i was recently viewing M47 and M46 in the same field, or the Leo Triplet. Of course a very low powers it frames a big object like the Pleiades or M31 with enough surrounding sky for context. It has also given very enjoyable planetary and lunar views, and lots of solar fun with a Herschel Wedge. It is also a nice size for a daytime spotting scope. Did I mention is shows off some of the birghter double stars really well? A ZS73 would be similar I expect.

Hi ags, thanks for the reply that sounds pretty great. My skies are pretty dark so it’s why I’m tempted by a scope like thi. I was  thinking if the 81 version but that might be a bit too expensive. 

I am a visual only observer; I have a ZS73 and I genuinely cannot think of anything bad to say about it. Maybe that the built in temperature gauge is a bit pointless? 

Optically punches well above its weight, brilliant, crisp widefield views and surprisingly good for planetary despite the relatively short focal length. The build quality is fantastic with a lot of small but important finishing touches that set it apart from some others. 

The small form factor also means it is very portable and doesn't require a giant mount to keep it steady. I've taken it on holiday to Italy several times, various domestic holidays (I live in Germany), the UK and even island hopping round Greece to Bortle 3 skies. 

I'll see if I can dig out my first light and post here for you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not what you're looking at but I've got a Z61, it's such a versatile scope. It was my first serious astro purchase after buying a cheapish Newtonian which didn't work, and a cheap Skywatcher Capricorn which gave me decent views and experience with an eq1 mount which lead me onto more serious things. With it I've viewed Jupiter which was super sharp, Saturn which was hard to believe what I was seeing (a small dot surrounded by a ring), imaged both as well as the moon and sun (with Baader and Seymour film and a quark) and moved onto a fully autoguided lightweight travel AP rig imaging nebulae from my backyard. The focuser is excellent, and the scope is so small. It's so useful I don't think I'll ever sell it even with scopes such as the Red/Spacecat on the market I prefer the 61. I'm sure the larger aperture WO scopes will be even better as larger apertures give brighter views (plus more light gathering for imaging).

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, badhex said:

I am a visual only observer; I have a ZS73 and I genuinely cannot think of anything bad to say about it. Maybe that the built in temperature gauge is a bit pointless? 

Optically punches well above its weight, brilliant, crisp widefield views and surprisingly good for planetary despite the relatively short focal length. The build quality is fantastic with a lot of small but important finishing touches that set it apart from some others. 

The small form factor also means it is very portable and doesn't require a giant mount to keep it steady. I've taken it on holiday to Italy several times, various domestic holidays (I live in Germany), the UK and even island hopping round Greece to Bortle 3 skies. 

I'll see if I can dig out my first light and post here for you!

Thanks for the detailed response, this kind of sounds like my dream scope haha. The portability sounds great as I will probably be looking to take it away at some point. It’s great that you can still get good planetary views with it too. For diagonals are there any that you would recommend ? And also if I were going to attach it to a mount like the az pronto or gti will I need to buy a special dovetail ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

Not what you're looking at but I've got a Z61, it's such a versatile scope. It was my first serious astro purchase after buying a cheapish Newtonian which didn't work, and a cheap Skywatcher Capricorn which gave me decent views and experience with an eq1 mount which lead me onto more serious things. With it I've viewed Jupiter which was super sharp, Saturn which was hard to believe what I was seeing (a small dot surrounded by a ring), imaged both as well as the moon and sun (with Baader and Seymour film and a quark) and moved onto a fully autoguided lightweight travel AP rig imaging nebulae from my backyard. The focuser is excellent, and the scope is so small. It's so useful I don't think I'll ever sell it even with scopes such as the Red/Spacecat on the market I prefer the 61. I'm sure the larger aperture WO scopes will be even better as larger apertures give brighter views (plus more light gathering for imaging).

Hi Elp, I have been looking at the 61 too it seems like a big favourite around YouTube. It sounds like a great versatile scope. What mount do you use it on out of interest?

Edited by Olli
  • Like 1

Mainly an azgti in EQ mode with WO wedge, purely because I want to keep my rig transportable in one bag. I can also use it in altaz mode if I choose either manually or via the synscan pro app. I do have other mounts but I seem to always default to the azgti as it's also the quickest to setup. The azgti probably will struggle with anything more than an 80mm on it and the tripod it's mounted onto will also have a bearing. This is probably my best image to date so far to give you an idea:

1642344677_IC434HorseheadFlameNebulaHalphav3-20-01-22-doimg-Copy_044900.thumb.png.42f731e0020c35855cebb5d67c53be46.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, badhex said:

Here you go: wrote this observing report plus a bit on the travel kit setup not long after I first got it. Couple of pics below as well. 

20210605_150827.thumb.jpg.3ac300696630578d93692742490275d8.jpg20210618_014108.thumb.jpg.dd9ed4e118260af6a0f325ac4455ddc1.jpg

Thank you for finding this for me. Will give it a proper read when I can the set up looks great, may need to get one of those bags eventually too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Olli said:

That’s a great photo, amazing what the scope is capable of!

Thanks, it's capable of so much that's why people love it. I'd say it only limiting factors is obviously native focal length at 360mm and for better DSO observation you'd want a larger aperture. As it's short FL at least you can fit the sun and moon in at full disk.

• Like 1

Having owned er , a couple of the zs73 and er, a couple of zs61 in the recent past i can absolutely recommend either of those scopes for visual ... if you look at the FLO site they state that you should think "binnocular views" ... whilst this is correct the clarity that these scopes provide means you will be mightily impressed . Even planets , whilst small , will provide lovely views . 

You cannot go wrong with Williams Optics Gear ... oh , and they look good too :) 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think you have all persuaded me to get the scope. Sounds like a great bit of kit. I’ve purchased it with the az gti and should hopefully be here  on Saturday! Most expensive Astro purchase I’ve made, nervously excited!

Edited by Olli
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Olli said:

Think you have all persuaded me to get the scope. Sounds like a great bit of kit. I’ve purchased it with the az gti and should hopefully be hear on Saturday! Most expensive Astro purchase I’ve made, nervously excited!

Congrats on your purchase . Its a great set up . :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I currently have an older ZS70 and used to own the ZS66 that Ags now owns. 

They are excellent scopes, the ZS70 is my most used scope mainly due to its portability and rapid setup capability on an AZGTi mount.

I use mine mostly for WL Solar but frequently leave it set up after my solar session if it looks like a clear night is going to happen.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ade

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

I currently have an older ZS70 and used to own the ZS66 that Ags now owns. 

They are excellent scopes, the ZS70 is my most used scope mainly due to its portability and rapid setup capability on an AZGTi mount.

I use mine mostly for WL Solar but frequently leave it set up after my solar session if it looks like a clear night is going to happen.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ade

I would like to get a chance at solar work seems  quite fun. After reading a lot on the scope it seems most people have it on that mount so I’m looking forward to testing it out as it’s my first “go to” mount.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Olli said:

Think you have all persuaded me to get the scope. Sounds like a great bit of kit. I’ve purchased it with the az gti and should hopefully be hear on Saturday! Most expensive Astro purchase I’ve made, nervously excited!

Very cool. Glad we could help! I look forward to a first light report 🙂

Re the bag (Thinktank Airport Essentials), again I can highly recommend. It's quite pricey but it's been absolutely worth every penny (same as the scope really!). The two leftmost items in microfibre bags are the AZ-GTi mount itself and a 2" diagonal, so you can actually fit everything you need except a tripod all in the one bag. For travelling I also bought a small carbon fibre tripod which is pretty sturdy for the size and can be strapped to the side. (n.b. not the one in the photo I originally sent, that's the standard AZ-GTi tripod but still pretty portable). 

Makes for a great little travel setup!

20210506_181439.thumb.jpg.3a317a5b818f7ce9b1b8352f84be8aed.jpg

Edited by badhex
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, badhex said:

Very cool. Glad we could help! I look forward to a first light report 🙂

Re the bag (Thinktank Airport Essentials), again I can highly recommend. It's quite pricey but it's been absolutely worth every penny (same as the scope really!). The two leftmost items in microfibre bags are the AZ-GTi mount itself and a 2" diagonal, so you can actually fit everything you need except a tripod all in the one bag. For travelling I also bought a small carbon fibre tripod which is pretty sturdy for the size and can be strapped to the side. (n.b. not the one in the photo I originally sent, that's the standard AZ-GTi tripod but still pretty portable). 

Makes for a great little travel setup!

20210506_181439.thumb.jpg.3a317a5b818f7ce9b1b8352f84be8aed.jpg

Thanks for the info, looks like a great bag and handy you can attach the tripod like that. I’m heading off to wales in September to hopefully make use of a dark site so I will most likely get this . 

• Like 1