Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO 183mc Pro - IR/UV filter

bomberbaz

Hello all.

I have one of these cameras on order ZWO ASI 183MC-PRO USB 3.0 Cooled Colour Camera | First Light Optics and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sensor seal element (glass or plastic) was also a IR/UV cut filter although I cannot remember which model this was referring too.

However I have done a lot of reading and cannot find anything to back this up. All the specs refer to is "AR coated protective window - all light can pass"  Will I also need a filter or is it built in.

I think this has turned into an obvious question now thinking about it but I have typed it anyway so yes or no please peeps?

Steve

38 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Hello all.

I have one of these cameras on order ZWO ASI 183MC-PRO USB 3.0 Cooled Colour Camera | First Light Optics and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the sensor seal element (glass or plastic) was also a IR/UV cut filter although I cannot remember which model this was referring too.

However I have done a lot of reading and cannot find anything to back this up. All the specs refer to is "AR coated protective window - all light can pass"  Will I also need a filter or is it built in.

I think this has turned into an obvious question now thinking about it but I have typed it anyway so yes or no please peeps?

Steve

Hi Steve 

It sounds like the 294mc pro as that's ar (think it means anti reflection) coated too. You will need an ir uv pass filter I would say. I have read in various places that my 294mc pro had a built in ir uv cut which is complete bumpkun nonsense. 

Cheers 

Lee 

• Like 1

I don’t have a separate IR/UV filter on my ASI183MC and get good results. The AR glass is anti reflection coating designed to minimize any internal reflections. Not sure why you would need an IR/UV filter but they are cheap enough.

I use a IDASD2 filter in the imaging train and that cuts out LED lights that we are plagued with and also sodium, mercury and I guess it has cut for IR/UV too all in one 48mm filter.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

Both the ASI183MC Pro and ASI294MC Pro only have AR coated window. If you're not using any type LP filter then a UV/IR cut filter should help reduce star bloating, if you're seeing this in your images.

Although the UV/IP cut filters are cheaper than other types of filter, you still get what you pay for, so I wouldn't go for the cheapest version. Something mid range from a good filter brand should do the job. ;) 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2022 at 00:12, Budgie1 said:

Both the ASI183MC Pro and ASI294MC Pro only have AR coated window. If you're not using any type LP filter then a UV/IR cut filter should help reduce star bloating, if you're seeing this in your images.

Although the UV/IP cut filters are cheaper than other types of filter, you still get what you pay for, so I wouldn't go for the cheapest version. Something mid range from a good filter brand should do the job. ;) 

Thanks martin, think I am going for the astronomik L2, seems to be a good filter and well priced. 

• Like 2