SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade ETX125 and Orion Autoguider

:(Has anyone attempted to use an Orion Starshoot Autoguider /PhD software with a Meade ETX125 and Autostar controller? When I attempt this, the calibration phase completes successfully, but after a few minutes the guiding sequence breaks down. Low S/N ratio is blamed, but I select fairly bright guided-stars and 2 sec exposures. It has been suggested to me that the Orion autoguider is not compatible with Autostar. Has anyone had similar experiences, which they have managed to overcome?

Thanks, Herrman

hey,

i have been told though i don't know the reasons that SCT typed telescopes are not good for guiding?

how is the S/N level of the guide stars? i find that dew and thin cloud passing over head don't stop the guiding but then i have a 80mm scope at f/5 which means i have a large FOV to look for bright guide stars, and i never go above 2.5sec?

just a thought....

if you are guiding at f/10 then your FOV compared to mine is (5*5)/(10*10) = 4, 4 times smaller but the stars in it are (125*125)/(80*80) = 2.5 times bright than mine. you get a quarter of the stars i have but yours are 2.5 times brighter.

this means if we assum a even distribution of stars that you have only got 62% of the usable stars i have. (not helpful :) )

mmm if the orion autoguider is not compatible then what is? it is just an ordinary ST-4 typed output?

Hi All,

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

I started at the bottom of the curve when using the autoguider. Initially, I was interested to see how well then guider worked without doing any imaging, so I centred on a 1st mag star and hit the button. When that didn't work well I dropped down to 2nd mag stars. I also experimented with a range of gain and exposure settings, but always ended up with losing the guide star and getting the low S/N ratio report. I hadn't thought about the mirror, but there appeared to be no shift in the image on the laptop screen- apart the stars disappearing off the edge as the guide was lost. The skies were light polluted, but clear, and the corrector plate was dew-free. I can think of no reason why the autoguider/PhD shouldn't work with the ETX, but then I am no electronics/software wizard. I did wonder if drive slip was to blame.

Has anyone tried using any other SCT model for autoguiding?

Thanks again for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

Archived