Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking to get into Astrophotography. Need some help..

Hi everyone 

I have been having a long think recently about what I want to do next in this hobby as I have been enjoying visual astronomy for a long time and have loved every second of it but I think it is time for me to move on to astrophotography as this is something I’ve always wanted to try. I now have the funds saved for a decent set up that will get me started. Around £1000-1500. I am looking for something that it relatively portable as I would like to take it on hiking trips to dark sky sites. For the ota I kind of had my eye set on the William optics 73 ( no pun intended), which I might also even use for visual as a low powered scope. I am just pretty confused on what I need to buy and which mount would be the best for a portable setup but still capable of long subs. I also have a dslr which I can use ( not modified)  and have been looking at some asi cameras too. I have been reading a lot of threads on here but I’m still pretty confused on what to get so any help would be really appreciated.

hope everyone had a good Easter!

For your budget and the requirement of a portable setup, look at the eq3 pro, eq35 or the newest version of star adventurer GTi, possibly the eq5. That should swallow 1/3 to 1/2 your budget. The Williams optics will take another 1/3 to 1/2 of your budget. For camera I suggest you use your dslr. If you still have 1/3 left, use that for a simple guiding setup, a small guide scope and asi 290mm mini camera.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

Are you seriously talking about lugging this around with you hiking?   
If so, you need as light as possible.  A star adventurer would be your best bet in this case.  I would have thought a decent camera lens such as the Samyang  135mm F2 lens and a modified DSLR would give you good widefield results.    Plus you will need a guidescope and camera and a way if mounting it. 

Any form of CCD or CMOS camera is going to need a laptop   

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

With the tracking accuracy of a Fornax LightTrack2, you won't need a guide scope, cables, laptop or anything else to carry. A mirrorless dual purpose camera for nature and astrophotography, with a longish lens or very small refractor could all fit it a pack if you don't mind the extra 10lbs.

• Like 1

Try watching some of the videos this guy has made.

I found his information very informative when starting out In astrophotography, it also helps that this setup will probably be as light as you can get but still have good tracking.

Good luck

I'm intrigued by the Fornax, I know it's super accurate and would be a good solution. May I chime in with the suggestion of an azgti paired with a decent equatorial wedge, if you want to read more check the azgti owners thread by @AstroNebulee.

I have my whole AP setup in one (big and heavy) backpack which I can carry and walk with, the scope is a WO Z61 which is such a useful scope for many things.

• Thanks 1