SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

iOptron CEM70EC-NUC Video Review

RafalT73

Hi, about five weeks ago I got my new CEM70EC-NUC mount from iOptron and after getting some experience I prepared short video review. So, if you are interested in that particular model or similar CEM construction ... if you would like to see how it guide, perform under load and what can be improved ... then I hope my review will be helpfull and interesting. I have done it in Polish language but also english subtitles are available.

If there are errors in the subtitles, I apologize in advance, but in general I hope that everything is OK

plansza_eng1.thumb.jpg.d9995b2907ce753967a82e097d5f55be.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nfotis said:

Thanks for your work on the review.

What made you select the EC/NUC version? It's my understanding that you didn't use a NUC, and I am reading complaints about the encoders.

N.F.

Thank you very much for kind words 😊. The reason why I bought the CEM70EC mount in  NUC option was very simple - only this version was available on the market when I was interested in buying it. I was determined to buy a CEM70 mount with an encoder in  RA axis and that was my priority. I looked in all stores in the EU, but unfortunately the waiting time was about 6 months. I found, if I remember correctly, only 2 such mounts in Great Britain in the NUC version. As the price difference was not very significant, I decided to buy it.

Before buying, I read a lot about these mounts on various internet forums and I know that there were problems with proper operation in PHD2. But I also read on CloudyNights that a recent firmware update solved this problem - and it is! I've updated the firmware of hand controller, the mount itself and all is OK. I do not observe any conflicts between PHD2 and encoder. Guiding is stable and total RMS error as you could see in my video is about 0.27"

Rafał

Edited by RafalT73
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RafalT73 said:

Hi, about five weeks ago I got my new CEM70EC-NUC mount from iOptron and after getting some experience I prepared short video review. So, if you are interested in that particular model or similar CEM construction ... if you would like to see how it guide, perform under load and what can be improved ... then I hope my review will be helpfull and interesting. I have done it in Polish language but also english subtitles are available.

If there are errors in the subtitles, I apologize in advance, but in general I hope that everything is OK

plansza_eng1.thumb.jpg.d9995b2907ce753967a82e097d5f55be.jpg

There is a an error in the video, you talk about how you mount had bad RA backlash when you used it the first time, and you show the graph of this from PHD, but the graph you show is DEC backlash and not RA, there is no RA backlash graph in PHD as backlash in RA is not really an issue….so I think you get mixed up as you are adjusting the belt tension in DEC but talking and saying that it’s the RA drive that it’s bad on and then showing the DEC backlash graph, personally I got very confused….🤔🤔

apart from that very good

B8821FF3-2A1D-4435-B24F-31C75213738D.jpeg

Edited by Stuart1971

25 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

There is a an error in the video, you talk about how you mount had bad RA backlash when you used it the first time, and you show the graph of this from PHD, but the graph you show is DEC backlash and not RA, there is no RA backlash graph in PHD as backlash in RA is not really an issue….so I think you get mixed up as you are adjusting the belt tension in DEC but talking and saying that it’s the RA drive that it’s bad on and then showing the DEC backlash graph, personally I got very confused….🤔🤔

apart from that very good

B8821FF3-2A1D-4435-B24F-31C75213738D.jpeg

You are absolutely right !!! I made mistake in subtitles (already fixed) and in my presentation as well (unfortunately I Cann't change it now). Of course PHD2 measure backlash only in DEC axle! By the way I adjusted belt tension in both axles, but once again -  the problem was in DEC only. Thank you very much for your opinion!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newbie alert said:

I see the 70 has a few improvements on the 60.. I think my 60 is awesome thou.. can't believe how slack those belts were! Shocking

I had to take the hex keys to my CEM25P a few times to adjust things also. Something I expect to on a £££ mount considering what we ask of them. But to see similar issues on their £2.5/£3k+ range put me off them a while ago. When they are good though, they are very good.

53 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I had to take the hex keys to my CEM25P a few times to adjust things also. Something I expect to on a £££ mount considering what we ask of them. But to see similar issues on their £2.5/£3k+ range put me off them a while ago. When they are good though, they are very good.

I had PhD flagging up a few issues on Dec axis thought my belt might need adjusting, but no, it was the carriage needed a slight tighten.. other than that it's been awesome