Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Session Ever

Roy Challen

I rarely bother posting my observing reports, they are usually just a factual account of what I saw in the order I them in. Nothing creative.

But, today, the sun gave a display that can only be described as awesome. An overused adjective, for sure, but in this case, for me at least, entirely correct. Here's a copy n paste of my report.

Date

Time

Scopes and eyepieces used

Seeing 

Conditions

Object/s

16/4/2022

11:14-11:46

Daystar SS60

Baader 32mm 

Very good

Sun

Another really good session. There is a large AR on the approaching limb. As I began my session, a large prom by the upper spot began to fade, and was gone within 10 minutes. This region looks like it’ll be impressive over the next week.

U6jOvwUBF2RufTgV2Wm8mtu4vip1hGKjn0k5-Dc747AheShsOL7k_nG3upNgE7l0AaSb2iFM9gCTERBn03GPTkudraY3VdQaH6GMEqWX_jM_Rx32rQy1_dFVwyI3oqtq7hdeUf2l

Appendix

Date

Time

Scopes and eyepieces used

Seeing 

Conditions

Object/s

16/4/2022

15:15-16:10

Daystar SS60

Baader 32mm 

Hyperflex zoom

Average-poor

Sun

An alert from SGL member @Highburymark got me back outside to try to see the huge prom he had sketched. By the time I set up, it had gone. I watched for a few minutes and saw a new prom start to erupt from in between the two large sunspots of the approaching AR. Extending quite some way out from the limb, it was quite something to watch over the course of about 9-10 minutes.

There was a balloon transit at 15:24, heart-shaped. I bet it said ‘I love you’ on it!

At 15:52, I noticed the base of a small prom near the upper of the two sunspots get brighter. It got much brighter over the course of the next minute or so, appearing white. Plasma started extending out from the base, further and further, looking hook-shaped. I would estimate that it extended at least three times the width of the nearby sunspot, maybe more. The top two-thirds began to detach from the base at about 16:00. It was completely detached, and the base had faded by 16:08. 

I took a few smartphone pictures while it was happening, but they do not do this event justice. I was in complete awe of what I was witnessing. I have seen real-time change on the sun before, but nowhere near this scale. 

Astronomy has given me many ‘wow’ moments over the last 19 years, but this tops the lot.

jzFz0rtBmDdKYW1s4nJG27_Zy_Yw9nf8W0KVKVkUapHOhamRTBe4e9zIf4t8Hssd4YDNdyHrTWHjdvymgVCopeZLiYuOtc0sZV9LhiCknGsSOqaPsYLCOsHtojXjt2tlsJ4zkAZ2

El6vxZ6LvbLHkI_qvTF4jci5s7U2HAWhqs1Ckha8nPfI1897dYn5DjpGVzcepAKyWyT6sCxi-1ZScTCvaw3B7_9yk82Ip78-iFKKfCPy0N3HMpUsjOpkY71PNp1WYUwx51unA4FA6wWvrG2kZCkaZBU5hEln6392RG1jl1-ivspm6seSnjp5nCypxX0gKt3K590gh6csRJHqgvu6_osQvTdVHTFoFEos1z10L-DIKg5h1fVqPcM3mVXmgXSARzdlSEZy8xTK0picUsv0

DLwe-ywRUR6_g1bhqfi3Sgjo2YZxxHLoO_ZrW3VjgWvJYb9OYMQAKAFf-qOMarmcKWzbZeidkjkOIjjld-10TyZ9UpV86BcT3MQpKfAiI-dV_OeflZTm5HyGNq5kNQiXr5s_N3IfmnqMa5uzkwk4opc9NBI_5wmbstkfNduLz_-RApxJWuNLSlid04CzBiD6f4AnwBFlB6bSdsdVKqvgTYJlyw63kdW3osJrZSnj-_JTo_kZ9Fqq8MNHlSDKp9_JcT4cjnG85ApwqOda

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

A session of stellar proportions! Now if only I could have such luck with the weather.

To be fair, in the SE of England, we've had a reasonable run of good weather recently. Today's session was number 32 this year.

• Like 1

I can't say that my solar observation yesterday was my best ever but certainly the best this year.  Transparency was poor due to heavy haze but the seeing stability was surprisingly good.  The main area of interest was, as Roy's description above, the limb area adjacent to the new sunspot pairing.  Much brighter than the general solar surface and undergoing rapid changes of shape and several short term surges.  Observation mainly between 5 and 6pm, 150mm Ha telescope at 150x.   🙂

• Like 1