Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ic 1396, an iconic supernova remnant

wimvb

Yesterday night we had unexpected clear skies, albeit with a full moon. Astro season is drawing to a close here in Scandinavia, and we only have about 3 hours of darkness at the moment. In two weeks, even that will be gone.

After midnight, the Milky Way became visible above my observatory walls and I shot 100 minutes of Ha on the Elephant Trunk, ic 1396. RGB to add colour to the stars and create more depth, will have to wait until August.

Gear: SW 190MN with ASI294MM on AZ-EQ6, Baader 7 nm Ha filter

25 x 4 minutes exposures, processed in PixInsight.

ic1396_Ha_starless.thumb.jpg.69baa420ff0ac847f932a3722cf419e9.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Where did you get info that it is Supernova remnant?

It is usually described as emission nebula / star forming region.

I thought too that it is an emission nebula, but Kstars has ic 1396A and ic 1396B listed as supernova remnants.

According to simbad, ic 1396 is an open cluster and the Elephant Trunk Nebula (IC 1396A, LBN 452, etc) a molecular cloud. IC 1396B (LBN 451, etc) is also a molecular cloud.

Thanks, Rodd. I couldn't find a reference to a supernova remnant either. Don't know where Kstars got its information. Anyway, the title is there, and I leave it. Otherwise this discussion thread seems odd.