SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

APRIL 16TH - 'POTENTIALLY LARGE AND VERY ACTIVE' SUNSPOT GROUP JUST VISIBLE ON NE LIMB.

Notice from spaceweather.com below, and current view from SpaceWeather Live below - the latter grabbed about ten minutes ago, and shows two sunspots have just come into view.  You'll have to zoom in to see the edge of these two sunspot.

Let's hope for another good show!  😊

20220416_105353.jpg.dea9580527bda5e85eefca93df608eac.jpg

20220416_105531.thumb.jpg.4e03f8b324b5412a397f06d89f109d6b.jpg

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Looks promising Paul, thanks for the heads up. I had a look yesterday and it was relatively quite, although still some interesting spots to view. There was also a very interesting patch of granulation showing quick dramatic patterns of swirls which was interesting to view.

Cloudy here at the moment…

• Like 1

Very interesting viewing in Ha. The whole region is very bright, a huge plateau of activity the width of several Earths with various spikes of plasma evolving rapidly. Just ahead of this what looks like a large spot. V quick scribble shows current view

2DB8929C-83F9-4414-8045-FAF30C40BDC8.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads-up.

Just before lunch, I set up my Daystar SS60 on the Solarquest mount, and have been viewing the changing scene in between short gardening breaks, and some cloud cover. Great fun.

I replaced the SS60 with my 90mm Mak + solar film. The sunspots were there, but no sign of the exciting stuff round the edge. Hydrogen Alpha wins.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister
White light info added
  • Like 2

Yes, lot's of plasma outflow this morning on the north eastern limb with what looks like two large spot's. It seemed most of the activity was associated with the southern most spot and AR. Be interesting to see what happens when they're both more fully on the disk. 

The two main spots are developing nicely, further onto the disk now and a third large spot has appeared. There are two much smaller spots, and then numerous other small spots or pores dotted around amongst the faculae. It’s a really nice, complex area designated AR12993 and 12994 now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Images will be interesting Vin. That huge prom has pretty much disappeared in half an hour

3 jpgs for size - 1208, 1229 & 1303 UT.  The party got started between 1208 & 1229 UT I guess?

Sun_130828_HA_NE limb.jpg

Sun_132900_HA_NE limb.jpg

Sun_140329_HA_NE limb.jpg

• Like 1