Narrowband

Synscan Handset "Both Axes No Response" error

vineyard

Am a bit befuddled by a Synscan v3 handset that I was trying to use w an HEQ5 Pro.  Its v3 (03.39.05) and when I connect it to the mount (with the proper RJ45 cable as advised by @Cornelius Varley) it shows this "Both Axes No Response" error.

I've checked the voltage as per the handset (12.2V) which is consistent with a separate reading.  Its not the motherboard b/c when I connect the mount to my laptop via EKOS, everything works.  The only thing I can think of is that the Synscan handset is for a different mount (it used to be used w an EQ6 motherboard mount) - could that be a factor?  Is there a way of telling (& changing the mount setting)?  It seems a bit silly to come up with handsets that are tied to specific mounts (although ofc great for peripherals sales)?

Worst case I'll just keep using it w a laptop but its nice to sometimes use a handset controller for visual.

Cheers

Edited by vineyard

The handset is not model specific.  When connected it sends two command to the motor board in the mount which prompts a response from each PIC micro controller which is sent back to the handset along with the motor boards firmware.  If you are able to connect the HEQ5  to a PC via an EQDIR cable and control the mount with the same power source then there is no issue with the motor board in the mount as it is responding to the same commands  that the handset sends only through the EKOS platform.  This would suggest that the issue is either the handset itself, the interface port on the handset or the cable between the handset and mount is not working as the handset isn't receiving the response it is expecting.  The easiest thing to try is a new cable (you don't provide a link to the one Cornelius suggested, so can't comment if that is the right one or not).  If that fails then you would have to see if the handset with a new cable works on someone else's goto mount in order to confirm or deny the handset as being faulty.

Also the firmware version in the handset is old - there have been two later revisions since - to 03.39.15  - There is also a fix so that the handset displays the correct voltage - Both, plus the windows PC application to upload the patch and firmware can be found on the skywatcher website here - It might be worth updating the handset and trying again.   

Edited by malc-c
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @malc-c.  I was trying a normal cat 5e / cat 6 ethernet cable as I think those are RJ45 - should it be a different one?  (For the laptop control I use a Lynx Astro cable - I think its an FTI EQDir one).

I don't have Windows but I guess SW will have a Mac OS version to upload the patch - will look at the website.

Cheers!

Not sure if the handset cable is wired the same as a straight ethernet cable, but as the handset gets its power from the mount you may have frigged the handset. If you now have both the proper cable and your ethernet one, if you have a multi-meter you could check to see if the pins are wired the same.

The mount port connections are in Appendix III of the manual (attached) below.

SynScan_HandControl_web191112v3_2_.pdf

• Thanks 1

In my experience the "no response both axis" message has been due to a fried motor board, but as the OP's HEQ5 mount functions fine when controlled from a PC using an EQDIR cable then this rules out an issue with the mount, and does seem to point to the handset as being fried.

Appendix II (page 42) in the manual provides details on how you can run the self diagnosis communications test by linking the TX/RX lines as described.  If the handset reports an error, then you could try flashing the handset with the new firmware and voltage patch using the SW serial cable (long grey cable with am RJ connector on one end and a 9 pin D type serial connector on the other).  You will need a true RS232 to USB convertor to connect the cable to a computer without any serial ports.  If (after setting the serial ports to the correct speed) the PC software fails to see the handset then that would indeed suggest the handsets UART has been fried.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both @StevieDvd & @malc-c - microelectronics is beyond me & I have no idea where I'd get my hands on a DB9 RS232 computer.  I see that the Wifi adapter should still allow it to work via my mobile so I suspect I'll go down that route.  I just want to be able to use it for visual goto without having to plug a laptop in :) 

Cheers

To be honest, there seem to be a lot of posts where people have more connectivity issues with the wifi connectivity, both in built and dongles than those with EQDIR or handsets !

Updating the handset firmware is detailed under section 10 of the manual.  The mount will have been supplied with the RJ12 to DB9 serial cable, and all you need (if the PC is modern and has no serial ports) is to use one of these to make the connection to the RJ12-DB9 serial cable and a free USB port  StarTek usb to serial adapter

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

The plot thickens.......

I sent Vin a PM asking if he had any use for the faulty handset as it would be fun to see what the problem may be and if I could attempt a fix.  Vin was a great sport and sent me the handset which arrived today.  The first thing I did was connect power to the handset to see if it powered up and report the "no response both axis" message, which it did , which was quite understandable as it wasn't hooked up to any mount.  I removed the power lead, and the EQDIR lead form my HEQ5 and connected the handset to the mount via a standard 3m cat 5 cable.  Plugging the power back into the mount the handset once more burst into life, and this time reported the firmware.  I proceeded to play with the directional buttons

As you can see, the mount moved in all four directions (apologise for the wobbly footage, holding the camera in one hand and operating the handset with the other was tricky).

So nothing for it but to let Vin know and make the arrangements to return the proven handset back to him.  Not sure what the original issue was.  Could be the cable that was originally recommended, but then the member who made that recommendation is well conversed in the hobby and so would presume the cable was indeed the correct one, but it still could have been faulty.  Anyway, at least this has proved the handset is fully functional.

• Like 3

A huge thank you to @malc-c for this!  In a way it's almost a pity that it wasn't broken b/c jailbreaking the Synscan handset would've been even more helpful for the community, but selfishly I'm quite glad ofc that the handset is fine :)  If only I knew how to correctly diagnose cable faults (or perhaps plug them in correctly?😂).  But this whole thing has also been yet another example of how great the SGL community is - big shout out to Malc, thanks again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1