Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Renamed - StellaLyra vs Ursa Major Dobsonian

Wow...I don't think I've EVER been dealt with by any other company this efficiently or courteously! One telescope returned (arrived at FLO yesterday), another ordered yesterday and now due for delivery...

temp2.png.37167011f35cc11f05872f3a98b9d1d0.png

...plus a huge amount of helpful email advice!

The weather's looking fairly horrible for the next few nights here (of course - I'm on holiday and will have a new 'scope 😠), but at least I'll have time to get used to the SynScan. And work out how soon I can afford a Powertank!

I'd like to update on progress; should I continue with this thread (and change the name AGAIN?) or start a new one - and if so in which forum?

3 minutes ago, Paul_Sussex said:

I'd like to update on progress; should I continue with this thread (and change the name AGAIN?) or start a new one - and if so in which forum?

I would probably start a new one, they are free you know. 😉😉🤣🤣

All sounds very positive, I look forward to hearing how you get on.

• Haha 1

Cool - I'll drop a link in here for anyone interested. As a beginner, there'll probably be a lot of "unboxed...pointed here...saw that" but hopefully I can share a few WOW moments!

PS - Free? I thought you charged by the line!  😉

Edited by Paul_Sussex
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paul_Sussex said:

Cool - I'll drop a link in here for anyone interested. As a beginner, there'll probably be a lot of "unboxed...pointed here...saw that" but hopefully I can share a few WOW moments!

PS - Free? I thought you charged by the line!  😉

Do go ahead, everyone has different experiences so your thread will be interesting to many I’m sure 👍

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Yes, more posts - we like to read. The more the merrier as they say :biggrin:

Going to have to rename the thread again lol.  Sounds like it should be "why you should buy from FLO".

As a newbie wanting to get his setup soon™, this is absolutely brilliant content.

Brilliant sounding service.  I wonder if they'll make @Chris sign the ota 'Astro la vista' if I ask 🤣

• Like 1

I'll probably link to (yet another) new thread once I'm up and running. And I can't praise FLO enough - putting up with all my emails, replying with good advice and sorting out my return and replacement without any problems. I'll have to do a write up in the Suppliers Review section, but I have to say the service was outstanding. I'd have no qualms about recommending them to anyone.

• Like 3

On 29/04/2022 at 14:37, Paul_Sussex said:

Apologies, all. After a serious sit down and think with the Finance Director, I decided the Dob was not for me. Far too stiff and aching after a night out and I doubt this would be improved with an 8". 😟 After several emails exchanged with Chris (with his FLO hat on) I've decided to go back to the idea of a 127 Mak - this time on a SynScan mount. So, order placed with FLO and looking for delivery some time next week. I'll be on leave, so possibly an unboxing and first light thread - hopefully more successful.

Many thanks for all the advice...

With a bit of extra inspiration from this thread, looks like I'm picking up a used Skymax 127 on an az-gti mount on Saturday 🤦‍♂️🤣

I've been missing the ease of my Nexstar 4SE, there's a lot to be said for a lightweight setup so looks like I'm joining the 127 club with you 🤣

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

With a bit of extra inspiration from this thread, looks like I'm picking up a used Skymax 127 on an az-gti mount on Saturday 🤦‍♂️🤣

I've been missing the ease of my Nexstar 4SE, there's a lot to be said for a lightweight setup so looks like I'm joining the 127 club with you 🤣

Not MORE clouds! 😆 Have a lithium battery arriving tomorrow and looks like there may be some clear skies at some point. Can't wait to get up and out.

There are plenty of tips on upgrades here, but the general opinion seems to be that the bits with the Skymax are enough to get started. Although I'm already drooling over eyepieces...compression ring adaptors...Telrads...too much shiney stuff...!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Paul_Sussex said:

Not MORE clouds! 😆 Have a lithium battery arriving tomorrow and looks like there may be some clear skies at some point. Can't wait to get up and out.

There are plenty of tips on upgrades here, but the general opinion seems to be that the bits with the Skymax are enough to get started. Although I'm already drooling over eyepieces...compression ring adaptors...Telrads...too much shiney stuff...!

Upgrades are a slippery slope, they'll get you eventually! 🤣Generally you are right, the included stuff is ok to get you going though. However, the 10mm standard eyepieces are not the greatest so you may want to upgrade that first? I've got an 8mm BST Starguider which has been a nice replacement for the 10mm in my other scopes, a little more magnification than the 10, but I got it for a decent price

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html - something for you to drool over 🤣 although they come up in the for sale section here fairly often too.

If you are partial to a bit of DIY and tinkering have a look here too https://www.facebook.com/groups/1484777181687589 I've been pleasantly surprised making my own eyepiece from knackered binoculars in how good they actually are, considering as binos they were fit for the bin. My diy barlow needs some more work, but I'll get to it eventually