SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Regulus Dwarf Galaxy (Leo I)

symmetal

Here's an image showing the Leo I Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy, 12 arcminutes above Regulus, taken with a FLT98 and ASI6200, reduced to 66% size as it was a bit noisy, being just over 2 hours total integration. Leo I is a Local Group member 820,000 light years away and has an apparent magnitude of 11.2. The ASTAP annotated version shows the many small galaxies present too. ASTAP annotation layer is slightly undersized as it gets misregistered the further away from the centre. The Asteroid and Comet database identified two minor planets visible as well, which I've added in red. The LRGB filters brightness used in turn shows in their trails. Hope you like it. 😊

Penelope is a main belt asteroid 88 km in diameter

Sapporo is an Euterpe family asteroid 4.8km in diameter

792676043_RegulusDwarf.thumb.png.a11f8ade1efb3e445b5620d6c9b665ee.png

1614895009_RegulusDwarfAnnotated.thumb.png.92c16448aedbe12778fdd7576aa62d97.png

Alan

• Like 15

Very nice. The problem with this galaxy is that it is so close to Regulus, and risks disappearing in the bright glow. You even got colour in the individual stars. 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very nice. The problem with this galaxy is that it is so close to Regulus, and risks disappearing in the bright glow. You even got colour in the individual stars. 👍🏽

Nope, the problem is that this galaxy is so faint, that even the dust on my screen obscures it!

Great images btw Alan.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Thanks 1

@symmetal

I had a stab at Leo II yesterday, despite the full moon. I collected 9x4 minutes R and 5x4 minutes GB, each. I think the Blue was a waste of time, but when I combined all 19 subs to create a fake Lum master, I could just about discern the galaxy with a super stretch.

Unfortunately astro darkness will be gone with the moon, so I can’t collect more data until next galaxy season. Perhaps you can still catch enough data before summer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, symmetal said:

Yes, I'll give it a try.The weather isn't cooperating too well at the moment though. 😔

Alan

The moon is still too bright anyway. And probably too close by.