Narrowband

Schroter's Valley and Montes Agricola

Kon

I was out with my 8" Dob and I got captivated by the rilles and mountains around Herodotus and Aristarchus. I was observing around 845pm and I could make a dark looking rille with very sharp edges. A quick check online, revealed that it is the Schroter's Valley. Looking at it again as the Earth's shadow is moving, the Schroter's Valley is much brighter and with new  features appearing. I was surprised between the two observations as with the more light it appears to be less shallow than I first thought. The Montes Agricola also showed nice features and shadows.  I finished my session with a look at Schickard and Phocylides. I could make the cratelets inside Schickard. My highlight is defiantly the Schroter's Valley. I managed an imaging session of the area as well, so very happy.

403704462_Screenshot2022-04-13at22_07_45.png.3f48da1a860e41e0a7627240c779a488.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 10

Nice report @Kon. Schröter’s Valley is one of my favourite areas and it can look quite different under different illuminations. Aristarchus is amazing too; I love the bright and dark bands down the crater walls which you’ve captured beautifully, and show up very well visually 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice report @Kon. Schröter’s Valley is one of my favourite areas and it can look quite different under different illuminations. Aristarchus is amazing too; I love the bright and dark bands down the crater walls which you’ve captured beautifully, and show up very well visually 👍

I agree so many different features; they changed within 1.2hrs. I read that the Valley is also referred as the snake and cobra head. I saw these features in the later observation, but I still prefer the less illuminated one.

Yes Aristarchus had the nice banding as well .

• Like 1